Author Topic: The difference between digital music and CD extraction  (Read 597 times)

ChunYinZi

The difference between digital music and CD extraction
« on: May 16, 2023, 07:22:55 PM »
Hello friends, I have a problem that bothers me

As we all know, a lot of library music is now digitized to make it easier to download.

I take Universal Music as an example, the same album ATMOS175 Ancient civilisations

I used permission to download the WAV digital version of its first track, Book Of Kells

I also personally own the CD of this album

I compared the two tracks and I found that the spectrum of the former is about 21hz, while the latter CD extracts the full 22hz.

And the former has a bug at the beginning and is missing 1 second, the CD is complete and comprehensive

So do any of you know why there is a difference? I used to think that the official WAV was extracted from the CD, but now it seems that this is not the case.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
Re: The difference between digital music and CD extraction
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 05:10:11 PM »
I have found out that music library often tend to, well, don't treat their property very well considered the fact that is their bread and butter.

The demo file of a SONOTON album from Christian Kägi (If I remember correctly) is fine, but the actual WAV was damaged, it was literally beeping loudly in your ears with artifacts and digital noise.
They didn't even bother to test it. Then, as you may know, FOCUS MUSIC has their demo files intact on NICHION, but the Universal WAVs had those clicks and "chirping" from the error correction going on, over several albums that are ripped either in "fast mode" (making the disk spin fast depending on the drive's capability, but also adding a very high risk of said errors) or the disk itself is just busted. In either case, it's super bad what they do with their stuff.

The CD might reach the 22(.050) kHz because of its 44.1 kHz nature (Nyquist–Shannon theorem) whilst the WAV might be from a different master.
I also would be surprised if there is any actual music signal in those frequencies (which, funny enough, can't be heard by us humans, it's literally ultrasonic) or if it's just digital shenanigans like many lossy encoders that shove "garbage" there.