Author Topic: Old Retro-Teque comps from 2010, now lossless  (Read 5626 times)

Retronic

• Administrator
Old Retro-Teque comps from 2010, now lossless
« on: April 29, 2023, 10:58:13 AM »

Me and potzorbie were working on these a while back, some nostalgia, for those who've been around may have downloaded these first time around- April 2010 time in glorious 128kbps (all I knew how to do at the time). These will feel pedestrian now as all these tracks are well known and in all of our hard drives on their original LPs but to contextualize, there were very few old library LPs available to hear unless you bought the vinyl yourself back then which is likely why I amassed so many- I was on a hunt for all the Prisoner Cell Block H cues and so bought hundreds of records blind hoping it would have a track I had been after (for years).  This was often the first time people had heard stuff so few cared about the condensed sound and poor quality.  One of the first things I shared was a 128 of DWS/LP Mean and Dirty and people emailed me asking me not to share stuff and to keep it rare.  Sampling library was still very popular at the time. 

I think it was Stack who grabbed this at the time- thanks ;-)

Here's some of the comps I made - 13 years ago! Time flies don't it?

pixeldrain.com/u/FYjhZcAv

pixeldrain.com/u/ZzzvajwZ

pixeldrain.com/u/dC5JKMNo

pixeldrain.com/u/ni85HYvz

pixeldrain.com/u/KeZdvCb8

pixeldrain.com/u/Hmg5vxUR

pixeldrain.com/u/QRGtTobK

pixeldrain.com/u/cTpyRY66

pixeldrain.com/u/xP5dg35Y

pixeldrain.com/u/ZhBBQxMD

pixeldrain.com/u/jQSEU6xa
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 05:25:01 PM by Retronic »

nidostar

Re: Old Retro-Teque comps from 2010, now lossless
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 01:07:06 PM »
Retro this is fantastic. I have 36 of your 128kbps versions. The oldest claiming to have been downloaded in August 2011! So it's great to have these upgrades. Thank you. Just one small thing the link for Sampled Library 7 is incorrect. It takes you to RT 169 Milky Way.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 01:11:24 PM »
Cheers. Will fix in a bit

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 01:14:21 PM »
Gee..
Huge fan of comps here, and I'm happy you decided to upgrade your old works.

Cheers Retro, much appreciated.
G.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 01:48:57 PM »
Kudos to potzorbie who started it a while ago but has time today so thought I’d post them up. 

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 02:09:15 PM »
Nostalgia! I love your archivist spirit, Retro. This is a great project :D
| Stack |

richeliutw

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 02:14:20 PM »
Such a wonderful share, great sound quality, thanks to Retro & potzorbie

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 02:21:52 PM »
Kudos to potzorbie who started it a while ago but has time today so thought I’d post them up. 
Yep, kudos to potzorbie too!
G.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 05:25:55 PM »
Just one small thing the link for Sampled Library 7 is incorrect.

Fixed

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 10:14:04 PM »
I enjoyed "Hammerhead" (Simon Haseley) very much, but the original version from '72 is mono and your version is in stereo (and in general re-recorded?). Could you tell me what version you are using?

potzorbie

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 10:39:17 PM »
I enjoyed "Hammerhead" (Simon Haseley) very much, but the original version from '72 is mono and your version is in stereo (and in general re-recorded?). Could you tell me what version you are using?
It's from either [De Wolfe] - DWCD 255 - Various Artists - 70s- The Original Soundtrack (1999) or Bite Harder - Music De Wolfe Vol. 2 which both have the stereo version on.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 10:56:09 PM »
Thank you for those responses. For some reason it was beyond me to check the library labels. There is something awesome about that track, this mix of styles, the funky and quirky melody, the drum breaks. It's a beautiful potpourri, but I am also usually a purist -- If it's mono, then taking a later-made stereo version is... off if you get what I mean.

I know this is somewhat of a strange question now, but do you think I should go with the mono version because it's the "real" thing or take the stereo versions and tag it as 1972? I mean, that is probably what it supposed to sound like if stereo was an option (if that was no option. I dunno, I am just guessing here. The version on Youtube is mono, but the crackles and surface noise is in stereo, so it's not the guy's setup).

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2023, 08:36:31 AM »

Not long after this release, De Wolfe shifted to Stereo releases with DW/LP changing to DWS/LP so I assume this was recorded in stereo but just released as mono and the original tape recording was in stereo which is what they use on any reissues of the track.

Here's a version from the old LP: pixeldrain.com/u/Ehfu3RQK

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2023, 09:55:28 AM »
Fantastic! Thank you very much for your effort - and this pragmatic and swift way of solving my very personal nerdy problem!

You know what, I will take both versions! I did that already with two other tracks. "Locomitchum" from the April Orchestra (or Slim Pezin to be more precise) has two versions of which the later version is so much more 80s pop that I could not neglect it. Also, "Exhibition" from David Wilson has a "quasi remix" a few years later which is kinda the same track but with a faster pace.

It might be my ears or the mono downmix or the medium, but the difference of the two Hammerheads is just too much to simply scrap one for the favour of the other. Yes, as said, it's a nerdy problem, but I have another war at the OMNIMUSIC front right now, so I can dive into that now again after I solved this part of my hobby.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2023, 03:03:03 PM »
These are a few tracks shy of a FLAC full house. 

RT 124 - Life In Days is missing the Dan Seeper title track if anyone has it.

pixeldrain.com/u/hDxRuKDX

Missing three tracks in lossless.
pixeldrain.com/u/TcnS95YA

RT 152 - Sampled Library 6 - Missing one track
pixeldrain.com/u/m7v7SrHQ