Author Topic: Harry Bluestone's Blue River Music Library  (Read 1028 times)

AverageLibraryMusicFan

Harry Bluestone's Blue River Music Library
« on: April 03, 2023, 04:14:31 PM »
I would like to talk about a very obscure music library from the late-1950s and early-1960s. The reason why I'm doing this is because there are not many Bluestone cues on Youtube. The only video I could ever find with such tracks is this:

In the early 1950s, Harry Bluestone and Emil Cadkin formed the C&B Music Library (Cadkin-Bluestone). For their cues, the performers of these tracks range from jazz combo to studio orchestra. Their cues have been used in educational and industrial films as well as B-movies (The Killer Shrews, to be specific). In 1956, selected tracks were re-issued by Capitol Records for their Hi-Q music library. But these tracks were removed and replaced with new ones after Bluestone and Cadkin won a lawsuit against Capitol for using their tracks without permission. So shortly after that, Bluestone formed his own record label: Blue River, and a few years later in 1973, most of its tracks were re-issued in Musi-Que. In 1999, a British music library named Carlin acquired the Blue River catalog, renamed the Bluestone tracks, and re-released them as part of their Archive Series. Today, many of Bluestone's cues are used in various TV productions such as Spongebob Squarepants, Camp Lazlo and The Mighty B!

So, now that I have explained everything, can you please show me a few Musi-Que albums, as well as some examples of the tracks heard in other videos?

KPMFan1000

• lg78
Re: Harry Bluestone's Blue River Music Library
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 06:43:30 PM »
here's one, the golden gate film co logo, it uses a track that was renamed "Ancient Fanfare" this was before the carlin albums were released however
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2vwxrJ5Eyc
LibraryGuy78

AverageLibraryMusicFan

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 05:15:28 PM »
here's one, the golden gate film co logo, it uses a track that was renamed "Ancient Fanfare" this was before the carlin albums were released however
Looks nice. Also, a little interesting fact, Bluestone actually recorded his version of Clive Richardson's Running off the Rails and was included in the original CD version of the album. Unfortunately, this particular track was removed from the digital release.

KPMFan1000

• lg78
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 12:10:56 AM »
Looks nice. Also, a little interesting fact, Bluestone actually recorded his version of Clive Richardson's Running off the Rails and was included in the original CD version of the album. Unfortunately, this particular track was removed from the digital release.

Yeah, there is also another arrangement called Locomotion.
I actually own the Carlin CD Shopping Spree is on. Sad it's not available in the newer version =(
LibraryGuy78

AverageLibraryMusicFan

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 10:07:08 AM »
Another thing I like to note is that Bluestone also produced music with vocals, mostly consisting of songs already in the public domain. CAS 004 (Barber Shop/Hawaii/Spirituals/Hymns) had a LOT of these tracks, such as this:

And by the way, these tracks were originally from Blue Mill Records (I think), the predecessor to Blue River.

And while we're on the topic of vocals, there is also "The One-Two-Three Waltz", here is the vocal version and the instrumental for comparisons.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 10:11:58 AM by AverageLibraryMusicFan »

AverageLibraryMusicFan

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 10:07:53 PM »
I just found another example. This time, it's from a Popeye's children's record, and believe it or not, the first cue heard in that record is actually from Bluestone and Cadkin known as "Out on the Town" on the Carlin re-issues.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 06:01:50 PM by AverageLibraryMusicFan »