Author Topic: Unreleased Library  (Read 18499 times)

apmnut

Unreleased Library
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
Basically, what this topic is about is cues that were recorded for a library, but were never released (maybe on reel-to-reel tape, but that's another topic). One example of a library label that I think might have a whole lotta unreleased cues might be Mozart Edition, especially since there's quite a few ASCAP listings for a TV show that used ME cues that bring up composers who don't have any tracks on any of the ME LPs or 78s that are up on Discogs, including Heinz Kiessling (!).

Greta

• Administrator
Re: Unreleased Library
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »
Italian library is pretty much a jungle about the issue. I'm sure there are quite a lot of of tracks, recorded for a library and never released. Both because they've been lost or forgotten under piles of other things, as I've recently read in a interview to Umberto Santucci. If I recall well, also David Nerattini aka Little Tony Negri (Pinball Music, Flipper Music, Penny Records), has talked about this somewhere.
Most of times we don't even know of their existence, till some indipendent label brings them to light, as recently happened with Afro Discoteca from Alessandro Alessandroni at Four Flies Records, for example.
Or again, the even more recent "Lost & Found", always from Alessandroni, on Four Flies.
Quoting:
"This EP contains unreleased music composed and produced by Alessandro Alessandroni in the 70s, taken from a dusty tape found in his vault".
"All the tracks were previously unreleased and are presented here for the first time - a truly "Lost & Found" treasure that sees the light for the first time!"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:27:14 PM by Greta »
G.

Little Richard Benson

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 12:49:43 AM »
There's tons of unreleased stuff, many records that were never released for a million different reasons, logical and illogical. For my job I've been working on at least 50 unreleased masters from the 70s (I'm not going to name names, but let's say they're all by heavyweights...), all to be released over the next months both as production music and commercially. Those two Alessandroni's records you were mentioning are just the tip of the iceberg.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:01:49 AM by Little Tony Negri »

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:20:31 AM »
This is one of those things one can only really speculate about, very cool to hear there are still things to be found, LTN!

I mean - isn't it a fair assumption, generally, that all or most film, TV and radio scores were at some point recorded to tape before being edited into the shows, and as such, exists (or used to exist) somewhere? The hypothetical amount of material is vast, even if you 'only' consider material published by library-related publishers in known and released media.