Author Topic: *REPOST* Need help in finding background music used in "Toys" (1966)!  (Read 2049 times)

Stoneage Saviour

**Repost because I posted this in the wrong topic. Sorry, still new here!

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to this forum and have only created an account on here recently to help find one thing: a background tune to an almost 60 y/o Canadian film by the NFB.

I've been trying to look for the song for a while, and I've come up with absolutely nothing on my end. The only two leads, which have brought me to this forum, came from the comments on the official website for the NFB's archive of the film, which can be found here: https://www.nfb.ca/film/toys/

The title of the song is reportedly known as "Stoneage" (hence my username) by the New York based music library known as "Musifex." Looking for these two terms, especially the latter, brings up no results of the music library, but a Portugese music shop.

Tried using Shazam, didn't work. I tried putting a sample of the song through YouTube's copyright system, and that also didn't work. I have just contacted the NFB about my search for the song, and as of writing I have yet to hear back from them as they had just recieved my message, but I'll update you guys soon whenever I get a response in return.

However, I still would like help in identifying this track, as I have absolutely no idea where else to go, asides from asking the National Film Board themselves about it, but here for help.

Please help me.
I am the God of Hellfire! And I bring you; Fire! I'll take you to burn!

Retronic

• Administrator
Re: *REPOST* Need help in finding background music used in "Toys" (1966)!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 08:42:32 AM »
Yes that does sound like library music, but nothing jumping out for me.  Someone might recognise it and if you knew for sure it was library music you could have a dig through some of those older labels that haven't archived everything (Chappell, De Wolfe, Ember, Harmonic/Brull, etc).   KPM for example have archived it all so Shazam should recognise it so you could take a couple of labels out of the equation.
There are tons of tracks like this with 'Beat' in the title and if I get a bit of time I'll type beat in and have a listen to whatever it pulls up- you never know.....

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 09:01:23 AM »
Had a flick through a few and there is lots of stuff like this- didn't find it though... does this sound a but Barry Stoller to anyone else?  He wasn't composing in the mid-60's though I don't think.  Perhaps Peter Reno?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 09:03:29 AM by Retronic »

Lord Thames

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 03:11:04 PM »
ASCAP lists a piece called 'Stone Age' by Sam Fonteyn - this was released on a Harmonic library 78rpm,  CBL 569, in 1965.  Intriguingly, the label bears the words 'Pop Special', which I've never seen on another Harmonic 78.

Sadly I don't have this particular record, so I'm not going to say it's definitely the one you're looking for, but there's enough circumstantial evidence to indicate it COULD be....maybe

(Edit - listening a second time, it does sound like it could be a Fonteyn composition, it's not dissimilar to some of his early 70s work for Boosey and Hawkes, but I'm not going to say it definite it's one of his)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:19:35 PM by Lord Thames »

Stoneage Saviour

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 03:34:42 PM »
ASCAP lists a piece called 'Stone Age' by Sam Fonteyn - this was released on a Harmonic library 78rpm,  CBL 569, in 1965.  Intriguingly, the label bears the words 'Pop Special', which I've never seen on another Harmonic 78.

Sadly I don't have this particular record, so I'm not going to say it's definitely the one you're looking for, but there's enough circumstantial evidence to indicate it COULD be....maybe

(Edit - listening a second time, it does sound like it could be a Fonteyn composition, it's not dissimilar to some of his early 70s work for Boosey and Hawkes, but I'm not going to say it definite it's one of his)

I'll try looking on Google to see if there are any matches.

Edit: Tried looking on there, and only a Discogs page showed up for it. I'm gonna try going on Soulseek later since I've been typing all of this on my phone in bed and I haven't gotten up yet. Let's hope someone has a rip of it on there.

Edit 2: Nope. Nothing was found on Soulseek. Gonna try Shazam again using different parts of the film for the hell of it to see if there are any matches.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 04:17:22 PM by Stoneage Saviour »

Stoneage Saviour

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 04:19:51 PM »
Yes that does sound like library music, but nothing jumping out for me.  Someone might recognise it and if you knew for sure it was library music you could have a dig through some of those older labels that haven't archived everything (Chappell, De Wolfe, Ember, Harmonic/Brull, etc).   KPM for example have archived it all so Shazam should recognise it so you could take a couple of labels out of the equation.
There are tons of tracks like this with 'Beat' in the title and if I get a bit of time I'll type beat in and have a listen to whatever it pulls up- you never know.....

I tried Shazam again just now, but absolutely nothing came up unfortunately.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 04:52:28 PM »

I think you're on to something there- I have a few of these Harmonic but first one is 600 and it's a 33/3 rpm.  It's worth asking in the Request section because someone may have it unripped somewhere. 

Stoneage Saviour

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 05:20:56 PM »

I think you're on to something there- I have a few of these Harmonic but first one is 600 and it's a 33/3 rpm.  It's worth asking in the Request section because someone may have it unripped somewhere. 

Already one step ahead of you guys: https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=5722.new#new

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 05:24:51 PM »
People in the US can't see this video :(  -- Any chance someone can post the sound file?

| Stack |

Stoneage Saviour

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 05:53:25 PM »
People in the US can't see this video :(  -- Any chance someone can post the sound file?

Here's a YouTube upload of the same film from the NFB's official channel:

Sorry aboot that, eh. I'm Canędian!

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PM »
Thanks, but even the YouTube video is unavailable :(  NFB seems to be the problem.
| Stack |

Stoneage Saviour

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 05:58:14 PM »
Thanks, but even the YouTube video is unavailable :(  NFB seems to be the problem.

Here's a Vimeo reupload, though the video quality is a bit lower than the official version: https://vimeo.com/246077966

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 06:14:37 PM »
That worked! Thanks. The "burning death" segment toward the end is really remarkable. Certainly don't see kids content like that these days
| Stack |

Stoneage Saviour

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 06:30:35 PM »
That worked! Thanks. The "burning death" segment toward the end is really remarkable. Certainly don't see kids content like that these days

I know, it's absolutely fucking wild. Asides from the topical music that we're currently looking for here, "Toys" is by far definitely one of my favourites from the NFB. People in the 60's had no chill back then as opposed to now.

Stoneage Saviour

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 05:40:19 PM »
Got a response back from the NFB themselves, it reads;

Hello [Stoneage Saviour],

Thank you for your message and for your interest in our productions.

Unfortunately, the information we have in our database is the same that you have provided.

I would suggest you contact ASCAP as the track was published by an American publishing company and not Canadian. Most probably that publishing company is not in existance anymore as there is no information on the web about it: https://www.ascap.com/contact-us

Wishing you good luck with your search.

Best regards,
[The National Film Board of Canada].

TL;DR they told me that it was the exact same information I provided which I got from the commenter on the official NFB upload commented. They also suggested that I contact ASCAP about the track.

So yeah, thanks King Thames for providing me the track info! I'll be responding back to the NFB in kind and also asking if they still have that track somewhere.