Author Topic: Library Music Genre Classification  (Read 769 times)

moodmusic

Library Music Genre Classification
« on: January 21, 2023, 05:24:29 AM »
Does anyone know of a genre classification system used by labels back then? It couldn't have been refereed to as 'library music' as clients needed a way to lookup or describe a musical style.

And if there was no classification system, what genre names would you list your favourites as?

stackjackson

• Administrator
Re: Library Music Genre Classification
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 01:50:14 PM »
The first place to check would be the old library catalogues, which provide musical descriptions for each track.

The term "library music" or "production music" is not technically a *genre* of music, since it's a functional category that comprises every imaginable musical *genre*. It's not one specific style of music, in other words. But it's funny that people use the word in that way.
| Stack |

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 02:53:30 PM »
I am not sure if I got you right, but I think there are kind of two types, often combined:

Speed/Tempo and Style.

NETWORK MUSIC for example would just label the number and then the pace of the overal album, e.g. "18 - MEDIUM TEMPO" with a bit of a classification. See here for example.

(Image source: Production music Fandom)

OMNIMUSIC has a bunch of "genres" going on, but not in the conventioinal matter. You can have a "Synthpop" industrial song, but it also could be full of brass fanfares. The generic sleeve of an OMNIMUSIC CD usually uses only the "genres" and styles used on that album.

All of the "genres" at once [interestingly, they left out the top left tile which usually would show a violin for classical music..](Explanation here.)

If they used only certain type(s), the CD cover would actually show that, so you kind of knew what you can expect - in this case, a poutpourri of different themes.

(Image source: Discogs)

Or this album: The name "LIVING IN THE FUTURE" is already a good hint, but when you look at the genres: Industry, Future, Technology, Space - that should be helpful to identify the "genres" to expect:

What to expect from an album called SWEAT? Yes: Exactly that. Sports and "Power"! :D

I know this is not quite "genre" as said above, but I think it kind of classifies. If you are looking for natural themes or sports, you will have fast drums, brass and horns. Then you would probably check the sleeve or catalogue.

MUSIC HOUSE would also have some basic categorizations.
Many labels appeared to have sub-labels or whole new "collections" going on (e.g. NETWORK MUSIC has BRAINSTORM for really fast, 90s pop/rock themes or MATCH MUSIC XS for Club/Eurodance music)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 03:09:02 PM by Psyclon »

KPMFan1000

• lg78
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 03:07:25 PM »
I do know of 2 examples of this classification:
First of all, back when Bosworth made 78s, they had different catalogs.
BA - South African Music
BB - Band Music
BC - Standard Catalog (shellac)
BCV - Standard Catalog (vinyl)
BD - Dramatic Productions
BE - Cinema or Theme organ music
BX - Mood Music

Another thing is that when JW Media Music started to reissue its jw record catalog, most of the album covers had different colors to tell you what the genre was, although bot every reissue had it (mostly from the 78s)
Pink - Funk
Red - Orchestral
Orange - Jazz/Big Band
Etc.
LibraryGuy78

musictheorist

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 06:24:21 PM »
There is also the famous Bruton Music library which divided their catalog by genre. The disc sleeves are color-coded to match each section of music. On the 1983 sample disc "Bloop", it's considered to be the Universal Galactic Standard for Coding.

BRA – Fanfares, Links, Bridges, Stings
BRB – Jingles (compiled from various Bruton albums)
BRC – Neutral, Solo Instruments, Sadness
BRD – Leisure, Pastoral, Nature, Tenderness, Romance
BRE – Children, Animation
BRF – Comedy, Parodies
BRG – Happy, Bright, Open Air, Sport
BRH – Contemporary, Pop, Rock
BRI – Futuristic, Electronic
BRJ – Theme Sets, Documentary & Drama Suites
BRK – Action, Pace, Danger, Force Of Elements
BRL – Industry
BRM – Suspense, Tension
BRN – Grandiose, Impressive, Panoramic
BRO – Historical, Period
BRP – Classical, Semi-Classical, Religious, Serious Vein
BRQ – Military, Marches
BRR – Folk, Nationalistic, Known Works
BRS – Jazz, Dance

moodmusic

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 07:46:57 PM »
This is great info everyone. Keep it coming!

Fuzi

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 08:25:36 AM »
A few Library Music Interviews: KPM, Bruton, Montparnasse 2000, Boosey & Hawkes were shared here not so long ago by Musica Pal Pueblo and provide excellent insights about how customers discussed their needs with sales team using qualifiers that complement each label's classification. I enjoyed the reading and hope you will find it useful too.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 10:48:40 AM by Fuzi »
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!