Author Topic: Direct linking issue and miscellaneous  (Read 1254 times)

C0NN1E

• Just a person who likes to research library music
    • Library Music Archives
Direct linking issue and miscellaneous
« on: December 14, 2022, 10:37:43 PM »
Can we have a page discussing direct links pinned on the general section? I thought it was mostly common courtesy to censor any kind of links that lead directly to the site.

That or perhaps there can be a notice before you make a post that links must be censored, and it can detect if it sees a direct link and prevent posting?

I'm also not too fond of new users coming in to ask for rips and not really offering a gentle please for them or even saying thank you back, or even offering rips of their own.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 10:46:44 PM by C0NN1E »

nidostar

Re: Direct linking issue and miscellaneous
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 11:17:37 PM »
I have to agree with you CONN1E regarding the sudden lack of courtesy that is appearing in posts especially from new members. There seems to be a false expectation that LMT members will share on demand. A recent thread (since taken down) resulted in an unpleasant exchange between members where one effectively accused the other of selfishness for not wishing to share a particular album. I don''t know whether it is because English is not the native language of the OP but I notice Greta, too, is trying to encourage civility on another thread this evening. "I want" and "I need" seems to be becoming an ugly trend. So too is an obsession with bit rates leading to rather sharp exchanges.

C0NN1E

• Library Music Archives
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 12:08:17 AM »
Yeah. Obviously, I have zero issue with new users coming to ask about rips, but it draws a line when they're incredibly obsessive over certain releases, keep asking for rips that no one has yet, asking for rips without even a shred of politeness or courtesy and just overall bitter exchanges.

We should at least have a code of conduct. Not necessarily a rules pinned post, just things that oughta be common courtesy, which is something old users of this forum have abided by for years.

KPMFan1000

• lg78
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 01:19:45 AM »
the reason why users don't directly link with the normal address is because it might be marked as spam.
LibraryGuy78

John_Fred

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 08:32:33 AM »
I think a gentle reminder that others are going out of their way to share titles should be proffered to any new-comers.  I'll be devils advocate and like to think that some tend to get a little absent-minded with the excitement of having been given what they've requested, and forget to thank those who provided it to them.  Obviously, if they don't acknowledge the fact or are more demanding than gracious, subsequently, then there's a bit of a problem.  Politeness costs nothing, after all.

As for the fickleties surrounding things such as bitrate of files, unless specifically asking for a particular quality, (and even then, they should still express gratitude for having received anything in response), they should really show some kind of acceptance of that which is offered, even if it's not what they wanted.

C0NN1E

• Library Music Archives
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 09:02:09 AM »
Yeah, totally on board with what you're saying.
"Be thankful you got anything at all", pretty much

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 09:49:58 AM »
Going back to the original question of this thread.
Direct linking to music sites such as Universal or APM, right?

That is/was quite a dangerous practice for us, we could potentially have been traced. Both, the downloader and the site.
Somebody with access to those sites and the willing to share their content, should at least download and re-upload them to a host site such as Mega or Pixeldrain, in order not to put the forum at any risk.

This has been discussed privately with those who were sharing such links (no matter if pasted on text files shared via host sites), and apparently a reasonable agreement has been reached.
Hope not to see any other of those links in the future.

Long live LMT!
G.

ChunYinZi

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 10:19:41 AM »
Going back to the original question of this thread.
Direct linking to music sites such as Universal or APM, right?

That is/was quite a dangerous practice for us, we could potentially have been traced. Both, the downloader and the site.
Somebody with access to those sites and the willing to share their content, should at least download and re-upload them to a host site such as Mega or Pixeldrain, in order not to put the forum at any risk.

This has been discussed privately with those who were sharing such links (no matter if pasted on text files shared via host sites), and apparently a reasonable agreement has been reached.
Hope not to see any other of those links in the future.

Long live LMT!

Yes, after your reminder I won't do that again

I will henceforth only share albums that have been downloaded and not hotlinked

If someone needs so many albums that I have to use a hotlink, I will ask for their email address and I will send it to them via email without leaving a trace on the forum. 

Thank you.

But I'll be honest, only APM MUSIC's hotlinks last long.

Universal Music, EMI, BMG, those usually expire after a few hours.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 02:19:53 PM »
I assume this excludes the direct links to the demo files that I posted? I mean, they are publicy available after all.

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 03:17:43 PM »
Psyclon, would you point me out to the post with those links? I don't remember.
Generally, if something is publicly available for the download, it shouldn't be a problem.
But I would like to check anyway.
Cheers.
G.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 04:41:54 PM »
Huh? I can't find it anymore, not even via the search engine.
Well, it was basically something like "I like this BRUTON album" and then I pasted the APM link to the album (not the direct music file).

Sammy Reed

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 05:21:30 PM »
The file storage site I use, OpenDrive, gives us download links to the files we put in. I don't think OpenDrive would mind anyone using those links to download files. So I would put those links in when I ripped stuff. I hope I'll be able to keep putting those links in.