Author Topic: Productivity Tips  (Read 1373 times)

Bronic

Productivity Tips
« on: November 15, 2022, 02:59:19 AM »
While looking for the lost name of this mysterious track and casually collecting amazing music and I developed some methods to improve productivity on searching and hoarding organizing.

So to give back to this community I want to share some methods and tools that I use.

My tips:

1. Selecting a name on a webpage and searching directly on Discogs, Youtube and more
2. Selecting a name on a webpage and searching within the files from your computer
3. Using a Discogs URL to generate a proper folder name
4. Setting up a music player to do only previews of tracks
5. Having different music players for different tasks
6. Download videos, playlists and entire channels from Youtube as MP3
7. Doing a semi-automatic split of tracks from albums posted on Youtube
8. Related Tools

In detail:

1. Selecting a name on a webpage and searching directly on Discogs, Youtube and more

Using an extension called Context Menu Search on Chrome or compatible browsers it's possible to select a name and land directly on the Discogs, Youtube or other websites search.

In the extension's options add new entries for Youtube
h--ps://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=TESTSEARCH
h--ps://www.discogs.com/search/?q=TESTSEARCH&type=all

The results:

2. Selecting a name on a webpage and searching within the files from your computer

This one is a bit more complicated. A Chrome extension (with a native application) and a Windows program are needed:

Everything, a search engine that locates files and folders by filename instantly for Windows. It works with partial names and common search operators.

External Application Launcher, a Chrome (or compatibles) extension that launches programs from the browser.

After installation it will ask to download the native application and check it. Then create a new entry for the Everything application with the path of Everything executable and use the string  -search "[SELECTIONTEXT]" as argument and copy the setup checked boxes.

The results:

3. Using a Discogs URL to generate a proper folder name

This is a personal tool done with AutoHotKey, a Windows automation program, because I'm too lazy to rename folders. Download and install AHK then download my script and double-click it to run.

Just copy the URL from the release and click the Get the URL button. Then click Copy to get the contents. The script works fine for the moment and don't use the Discogs API.

The result:

4. Setting up a music player to do only previews of tracks

Sometimes I just want to sample the tracks so there is a way to automate it.

The music player used is foobar2000. It's very customizable and can read zip and rar files.
It has a component (plug-in) called foo_preview, the installation guide is at the same page

The preview can be configured form the Preferences menu option:

and toggled from the Playback menu:

5. Setting up different music players for different tasks

AIMP is my default player but I have 2 foobar2000 executables for different tasks. One is just for previews (like demonstrated above) and other for full listening. They are just installed apart.

The trick is to send files or folders to the correct programs via context menu and entries to the Send To menu option. Here is a guide.

Basically drag the properly named shortcuts of the players to c:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Result:

When a select files or folders the Send To give me these options

AIMPac is the audio converter of AIMP. No more fake FLACS hogging space on my HD! And foobar2000 is nice because I can just send zip files to it.

6. Download videos, playlists and entire channels from Youtube as MP3

Open Video Downloader, very easy to use. Just copy and paste the URL and the program will do its magic. Maybe it's possible to hook it with External Application Launcher.

Or just use the mysterious JDownloader.

7. Doing a semi-automatic split of tracks from albums posted on Youtube

Open the mp3 file on audio editing tool Audacity then use the Analyze>Silence Finder option. It will create divisions (labels) between the points of silence.
In Edit>Labels (Ctrl+L) you can rename those labels
Then in File>Export>Multiple it will export separate files for each label segment.

Here is a short guide on labels.

8. Related Tools

Mp3tag - Tag editor. It has some automation features and can extract data from websites.
Advanced Renamer - Advanced Renamer is a program for renaming multiple files and folders at once using several methods.
AllDup - Remove duplicate files from PC. It can compare by name or binary data.

That's it! If you have better methods to my madness let me know!

Fuzi

Re: Productivity Tips
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 08:20:09 AM »
Great share! Selecting text in Chrome and running a search on my local will save me a copy/paste… priceless, let me try this, and thanks Bronic

*update: I can't figure out the setup on Mac for External Application Launcher, but Context Menu Search works and is useful
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 01:23:34 PM by Fuzi »
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

Bronic

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 07:17:14 PM »
External Application Launcher was a bit awkward to install on Windows too but it worked after a few tries.

Everything isn't available for Mac but there are alternatives. Even without the Chrome extension it's great to keep an instant search tool like this around.

digdeeper

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 10:16:27 PM »
These tips are really cool, thanks Bronic, I made a very similar "Tips & Tricks" -style thread a good while back, sadly it went down with the other threads. I see you have already mentioned several of the things I listed, such as Everything, Mp3tag, and Advanced Renamer. Good stuff!

kpmhill

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 10:02:25 PM »
Great stuff- thanks!

baobab13

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 07:16:40 PM »
Thank you for your tips Bronic! Very useful!
External Application Launcher exists for Firefox too but impossible to make it work... Too bad  :'(

Bronic

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 09:23:37 PM »
Thank you for your tips Bronic! Very useful!
External Application Launcher exists for Firefox too but impossible to make it work... Too bad  :'(

I'm not a regular Firefox user but it worked for me:

Did you download the native application?

baobab13

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 12:16:01 AM »

Actually no...
I managed to install Everything as well as the extension and to configure it as you showed in your example.
And then nothing... Firefox does not ask me to load the native application. I just don't have that "one last step" to install the "native client".
There is something I must be doing wrong but I don't know what...
It's a shame because it looks very practical...

Bronic

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 02:28:05 AM »

Actually no...
I managed to install Everything as well as the extension and to configure it as you showed in your example.
And then nothing... Firefox does not ask me to load the native application. I just don't have that "one last step" to install the "native client".
There is something I must be doing wrong but I don't know what...
It's a shame because it looks very practical...

Here is the Windows one: https://www.mediafire.com/file/2rbhvcdmdjcpq9z/windows.zip/file

Run the *bat relaunch the browser then repeat the Application setup in the browser. Click the Add Application at the bottom.

baobab13

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 07:30:12 AM »
Thanks for your help Bronic!

I finally managed to make it work after a dozen attempts...
It finally did when I checked the toolbar button box...

Once again, Thanks for these tips Bronic.
This will save me a great deal of time!