Author Topic: [Going Records] MC 01 - Pintex - Time Today (1995)  (Read 1683 times)

Rocco

[Going Records] MC 01 - Pintex - Time Today (1995)
« on: November 06, 2022, 04:19:04 PM »

"A musical journey through the world of information and news, for radio and television documentaries"

Hello everyone, here an interesting CD by Alessandro Gabriele aka Pintex. An electronic album that impressed me, despite the year of release.
Maybe some of the tracks were recorded a few years earlier but I'm not sure.

It is part of the series "Caramba Music Library" on the Going label and flows well from start to finish.
The structure of the tracks is simple, with repetitive lines, sometimes hypnotic, and some references to the 80s. I hope you will like it too.
Enjoy!

[Going Records] MC 01 - Pintex - Time Today (1995) - music by Pintex (Alessandro Gabriele)
mega.nz/file/MS4ywYQB#0RjIQ5LOFnSA01x-4qBJ1ckr_JiN07apWQCSRPVp-w4

Greta

• Administrator
Re: [Going Records] MC 01 - Pintex - Time Today (1995)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 08:10:12 PM »
Never heard nothing from this label.
And this is such a pleasant surprise.
I agree with you Rocco, the year of release is misleading, at least.

If I close my eyes it's just like I'm hearing some TV news theme.
Very evocative, and I don't rule out that some of these tracks may have been used in earnest for some TV show/news.

Thank you very much Rocco.
G.

geo

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 08:47:41 PM »
thank you, rocco!! 1990s news themes, I am intrigued!!

:)
geo
password: libmusicnet
:)
geo

LMTH303

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 08:53:42 PM »
Another excellent surprize Rocco...yes I like it very much as well...a thoughtfull and really well arranged multi-layered keyboard nugget...Thanks!

Ice8

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 09:45:07 PM »
Excellent Rocco! Thanks.

baobab13

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 09:24:59 AM »
Thanks Rocco!

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 05:06:20 PM »
I think the year could be accurate though.
Some sounds remind me to the MS GS Wavetable (the drum sets on some tracks, especially the snare drums). I still get the shudders because I hate the MS GS Wavetable. "What is that anyways"? When you had no hardware synthesizer, Microsoft still had midi playback compatilibity by adding a software synthesizer. Hardware synthesizers were from basic gaming (AdLib/Soundblaster/OPL2-3/YM2812) to very expensive Gravis Ultra Sounds (supported by DooM and DooM II for example). The MS GS Wavetable is, if I am not mistaken, part of the Roland Sound Canvas, which has been released in the early 90s with the new General MIDI standard. Wikipedia says 1991. Means: The 80s are ruled out, or they have a time machine, or I am completely mistaken.

As this sound and this kind of album is basically my collection's era, I could totally see this being released '95. Production music always lags behind a couple of years (some '85 albums from well-known labels still have huge late-70s disco influences and many mid-80s "technology tracks" were still done on warm, analogue synths and in the late 80s, they finally went to the DX7 for its "real digital" sound 5 years late........).

CD audio was new in video games in the mid-90s, and the soundtrack was often stored in CD audio format, so I could play them back in my stereo (yes, I know about the warning not to put them into the player, but a mixed mode CD was nothing new in the mid 90s and the players of that era to ignore the data track 1). And songs like "Trab" could be totally one of these ambient tracks played in "Age of Empires I".

The Track "Frau" (German for "Woman") sounds like a "in the style of" track from "The Beloved" with "Sweet Harmony", which released in 1992.
Also: Sweet Harmony and "Woman" (as in love relationship) is a nice little nod, innit?

Five Time sounds like some cheap MIDI version of some slower, RnB club song that KPM and DeWolfe were so obsessed about in their early-90s pop music albums..

Just to leave you some information on both the musical influences and instruments I hear. Just all guesses, but I'd actually root for the mid-90s.

EDIT: Woops! I totally forgot to be grateful for this upload, because I actually like this one! :D :D

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 05:18:47 PM by Psyclon »

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 07:38:34 PM »
"Sweet Harmony", I always had a soft spot for that tune.

Anyways, by saying the year of release was misleading, I meant that from the middle 90's one wouldn't expect such a "quality" bag of tracks.
G.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 11:06:54 PM »
I also love "Sweet Harmony". I was a young boy back then and it would play a lot in the car stereo when I was strapped in the children seat :)

Also, I think it's not "Going Records", because if you check the logo, it's a mallet hitting the note like a ... gong.
Gong Records is Italian, located in Milan to be precise - just like the Edizioni Caramba, the other label mentioned on the disk and inlet of the CD.
I can only speculate, but "Going Records" is a bit strange, innit?

https://www.discogs.com/de/label/19980-Gong-Records

Unfortunately, I can't find a 90s logo they might have used.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 11:18:02 PM by Psyclon »

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 10:15:05 AM »

At first it was looking an interesting theory Psyclon. But no, I don't think it's correct.

Consulting S.I.A.E database:
on the first picture the track "Etnicus" from Going Records MC 01 shared by Rocco, where you can see the original editor is Edizioni Caramba S.r.l., based in Milan, via Ettore Romagnoli (or via Del Caravaggio)
on the second picture the track "Memories Of Mad Desire" taken from Gong GONG 013, where you can see the original editor is Universal Music Ricordi S.R.L. based in Milan, via Benigno Crespi, and Gong S.a.s./Gong Records is based in Milan, via Paullo.

Anyways, two different labels/sub-labels in my opinion.

"Going" is a bit strange, I agree, but actually the mallet in the logo is hitting a note, not a gong.
Probably the name "Gong" was taken already? Or maybe a sister label? Or a sub-label?

Other than that I can see that Gong Records was specialized in "italo disco" music and was founded by one Salvatore Annunziata who, as far as I know, has nothing to do with libraries.
On the other hand, from Going Records we only know one release till now, which it doesn't help much.

One thing is sure, the logo of Going Records clearly states "GOING".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 10:46:01 AM by Greta »
G.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 10:32:37 AM »
I think it is the gag of the logo that it's hitting a musical note. It resonances like a gong - through the whole surface (note).

The "I" from "Going" seems to be odd and stands - but then, the whole logo is pretty poorly designed in terms of "accuracity" of the letters. I just have a dilemma because "Going Records" sounds absolutely random and gong is apparently ruled out.

About Library Music or Not, I think many bands had some kind of "commercial" release or whatever you wanna call them. Studio musicians that get discovered - but not by a major mainstream label. I think more of "Orange Power" or, like here, "PINTEX". Pintex, for example, could be totally some italy disco band that signed for media usage instead of being extorted by the big labels for the mainstream - if any big label would've picked them up anyways.

From the collaboration on the cover, I think CARAMBA swallowed/acquired Go(i)ng Records, figured out some "good for media" use and made those compilations. Like "Oh, those PINTEX tracks had no market, so lets offer them to another customer target audience". I just keep the "Gong" Record tag on my file purely for the fact that going makes less sense than gong because of that mallet.

I kind of like digging and detective work like this, but when I need to definitely tag something, I hate that :)

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 10:49:58 AM »
Pintex, for example, could be totally some italy disco band

Too much imagination to me.
Pintex, as stated on the inner sleeve, is the composer. Then, by consulting s.i.a.e. database you discover it's an alias of Alessandro Gabriele.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 11:00:55 AM by Greta »
G.

Psyclon

• Depressed devil...
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 09:55:09 AM »

Too much imagination to me.
Pintex, as stated on the inner sleeve, is the composer. Then, by consulting s.i.a.e. database you discover it's an alias of Alessandro Gabriele.

Oh, I would not be so sure about that in general. Trans-X - or Pascal Languirand - started out with random tunes that were no great hits or some obscure soundtrack for his father's TV show. In other words: Library music. Until he paired with Laurie Gill and recorded something totally different - "Living On Video" in '83. And suddenly, the bigger labels were interested. I don't think it's too much imagination to see smaller labels buy even more obscure tunes and compile them into their albums or create a little sublabel.

Or the good ol' 90s hit people know as "I like to move it, move it" was actually a mere instrumental tune by Reel-2-Real. Then, the "Mad Stuntman" came along and put his famous rap over. Suddenly, from obscure indie track to major MTV hit.

Anyways, it is called GOING records, and in fact, I was seeing too much out of that logo :D
I just asked...

Now I can finally tag it properly, even I am still miffed about the absolute randomness of that name compared to what the logo implies. ::)

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 10:24:34 AM »
Psyclon, by saying "too much imagination, I was referring to your statement about Pintex, whom is Alessandro Gabriele and not some italo-disco band.
As i quoted yesterday.

Great that you had an email exchange with Cristina Corechà from Caramba.
Now we are all sure about what is the right label name.
G.