Author Topic: Trade Test query  (Read 1317 times)

new970901

Trade Test query
« on: October 14, 2022, 06:16:47 PM »
I’ve just taken a look at the composer aliases on this forum, and one thing that surprised me is P.A Ludlow, the alias who composed Looks Good, Feels Good 2, Before The Breeze etc is a certain Al Dickinson, although some of the tunes on these tapes don’t strike me as being his type of work. could anyone offer any insight on this please?

stackjackson

• Administrator
Re: Trade Test query
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 03:08:14 AM »
Moving this to General Discussion
| Stack |

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 03:01:20 PM »
Some more context would be nice, what is "Looks Good, Feels Good 2" and "Before the Breeze" and where are they found?

Don't have a whole lot to add here unfortunately - I just found the connection between these two names and the third, "Louis Baker". I'm not particularly familiar with this composer or his output at time of writing, though I know he composed a few cues for Sound Stage (Amphonic).

tonyc1971

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 03:06:14 PM »
To help Mr and anyone else scratching their head at this.  The title 'Looks Good, Feels Great' is the name of a tape that the BBC used for their test card back in the early 90's.  Usually the title of the first track is used to name the tape also.  Below is a link to the cue sheet.  As for the composer, sorry I can't add anything to this as not aware of his other work.  To add, it's not uncommon for these cue sheets to inaccurately list the name of the tunes and on occasion the artist.  I still don't know why that was.  Some say it was to prevent people like ourselves to track down those long lost tracks.

http$://mega.nz/file/fgc3jACL#M7I2B9n6zySmEt1biGe5TY2l_U29gBHPl9Nz0_LunlM

« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 03:07:51 PM by tonyc1971 »

new970901

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 04:06:35 PM »
Some more context would be nice, what is "Looks Good, Feels Good 2" and "Before the Breeze" and where are they found?

Don't have a whole lot to add here unfortunately - I just found the connection between these two names and the third, "Louis Baker". I'm not particularly familiar with this composer or his output at time of writing, though I know he composed a few cues for Sound Stage (Amphonic).

I can give you the two tapes, but I’m afraid I could only find the first 7 tracks of Before The Breeze,
https://racaty.net/?op=upload_result&st=OK&fn=jh3iq5qxcsz1 - Looks Good, Feels Good 2, 1992
https://racaty.net/?op=upload_result&st=OK&fn=z07385womfok - Before The Breeze, 1999

new970901

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 04:09:12 PM »
To help Mr and anyone else scratching their head at this.  The title 'Looks Good, Feels Great' is the name of a tape that the BBC used for their test card back in the early 90's.  Usually the title of the first track is used to name the tape also.  Below is a link to the cue sheet.  As for the composer, sorry I can't add anything to this as not aware of his other work.  To add, it's not uncommon for these cue sheets to inaccurately list the name of the tunes and on occasion the artist.  I still don't know why that was.  Some say it was to prevent people like ourselves to track down those long lost tracks.

This might sound silly, but I’d like to get in touch with the composer, if anyone can tell me how to please?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 04:17:05 PM by new970901 »

Lord Thames

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 05:30:27 PM »
Last I heard, Al Dickinson was living in France.  He had a company called Non Cop Music Shop for a couple of years which released a number of Fay Gibbs tracks on CD ostensibly for use as background music for retail - some of those also appeared as downloads on Amazon.

testcard

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 07:32:41 PM »

The music 《Looks Good, Feels Good 2, 1992》 is "Stormy Spring" by Himiko Kikuchi at 27: 29 seconds. The whole song is often 6: 30 seconds.

"Stiff Vamp" by Himiko Kikuchi at 3:30 seconds.but there is no such information in the cue sheet.

Stormy Spring
https://pixeldrain.com/u/MhUmrfmh
Stiff Vamp
https://pixeldrain.com/u/jGfdyyNH

« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 07:42:37 PM by testcard »
English is not my mother tongue, so there are often mistakes in writing. Please forgive me. I will try to improve.

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 01:36:10 PM »
Last I heard, Al Dickinson was living in France.  He had a company called Non Cop Music Shop for a couple of years which released a number of Fay Gibbs tracks on CD ostensibly for use as background music for retail - some of those also appeared as downloads on Amazon.

Not sure if this is the same person, but an Alan Dickinson born 1941 in Haslingden apparently died in Carhaix (France) in August 2017.

new970901

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 02:29:19 PM »

Not sure if this is the same person, but an Alan Dickinson born 1941 in Haslingden apparently died in Carhaix (France) in August 2017.
I have a strong feeling it is, RIP
Could you tell me where you found that information from please?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 12:05:34 AM by new970901 »

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 02:51:46 PM »
In my work researching composers, I've learned that the death certificates in France, starting ca. 1970, is freely public information - lists are issued each month by the government, containing full name, place and dates of birth and death of anyone who has died on French soil.

Here's the one in question:
hxxps://deces.matchid.io/id/yiwkgz88OJEh