Author Topic: Library Music Archives, a wiki dedicated to library music.  (Read 2655 times)

C0NN1E

• Just a person who likes to research library music
    • Library Music Archives
Library Music Archives, a wiki dedicated to library music.
« on: September 14, 2022, 12:22:12 AM »
G'day everyone! With the unfortunate forum reset, let's start this over, shall we?

Welcome to the Library Music Archives wiki

Library Music Archives is a wiki dedicated to the discussion and research of library music, its labels and its composers. I created this wiki as a way to document all kinds of things. With my Gerhard Trede findings lately, I've been needing a place to host this information, so why not focus on library music as a whole! Can't focus on Trede forever!

There is a FANDOM/Wikia counterpart to Library Music Archives called Production Music Wiki. This wiki is also an invaluable resource to library enjoyers. My intent isn't to replace that wiki, but to rather provide another source for people to go and to find community. I can list some additional reasons below:

• The PMW runs on the FANDOM/Wikia platform. FANDOM/Wikia is a for-profit wiki farm that allows users to create any wiki they want freely. However, as a trade off, the platform is filled with ads that make the sites run awfully, even with something like AdBlock. FANDOM has a very strict styleguide for how their wikis should look, which removes a lot of creativity, uniqueness and identity. Need I mention predatory business practices... On our side, we're using a wikifarm called Miraheze. Miraheze is a wikifarm company that runs as a not-for-profit company, is entirely donation and volunteer driven and is completely open source. You also have practically no limits to what you can do on your wikis, just as if you were self hosting!
  • We want to focus less on just providing supplementary info on labels and releases, and go a lot more in depth with the amount of information we offer. We want to go over complete and comprehensive history, detailed life accounts for composers, high quality images, and so much more,
  • PMW is actually what inspired me to make this wiki! I hope that we can potentially collaborate and provide high quality content together!

With that all said and done, I invite you to check out the wiki and, if you're so incline, to make some edits and content if you'd like! There is no exhaust of valuable library music info, so come share your knowledge! And you can join the IRC or Discord chats through the left hand sidebar on the main page.

https://librarymusicarchives.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page <--- You can visit the wiki here!

WSBG Returns Yet Again!

Re: Library Music Archives, a wiki dedicated to library music.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 12:36:09 AM »
I wish I could've told you this before the site reset but, will there be record release list pages? Since we're making pages for them and documenting them, I thought we should compile them into pages with lists on them (i.e. Impress releases go to a "List of Impress Records" page. Same thing for Conroy, Harmonic, etc.).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 12:38:14 AM by WSBG Returns Yet Again! »
Peace, Love, and Library Music!

C0NN1E

• Library Music Archives
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 12:45:05 AM »
I wish I could've told you this before the site reset but, will there be record release list pages? Since we're making pages for them and documenting them, I thought we should compile them into pages with lists on them (i.e. Impress releases go to a "List of Impress Records" page. Same thing for Conroy, Harmonic, etc.).

Yes, we will do that too! You should be able to do that with the standard table template, if memory serves me right. It'll be really useful.

WSBG Returns Yet Again!

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 03:24:02 AM »
Here's a taste of what the Impress release list looks like. NOTE: I'm still working on this. That's why it says TBA (to be announced). librarymusicarchives.miraheze.org/wiki/List_of_Impress_releases

C0NN1E

• Library Music Archives
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 03:29:33 AM »
Lovely! Looks great!

mshow81

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 04:57:13 AM »
Before I checked this topic, I wondered why there weren't any more recent posts (from the last month at least) showing up.

C0NN1E

• Library Music Archives
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 07:44:38 PM »
Just got another huge Gerhard Trede find.

Can't wait to document this on the wiki!  ;D

C0NN1E

• Library Music Archives
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 05:03:35 AM »
Oh yeah, I'm sure you noticed, but for "List of releases" pages. We're going to format it as the following:

"List of (IA) Impress releases"

Label code in parenthesis first, then the full label name. If the label follows the same code sceme, like with Impress on its 78rpm and LP line, then it'll share the same page, like WSBG already did.

If the catalog codes get separated into their own codes, like with Conroy, we'll have two different pages:

"List of (BM) Conroy 78rpm releases"
AND
"List of (BMLP) Conroy LP releases"

Should be simple enough, but for future reference, this'll be how those work. Negate any additional characters from the label code besides the letters (we don't need dots or dashes, for example, like with Charles Brull).

WSBG Returns Yet Again!

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 06:26:15 AM »
Does negating the dots and dashes also apply to the regular release page itself (i.e. Harmonic's CBL.590)?

C0NN1E

• Library Music Archives
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 06:35:53 AM »
Does negating the dots and dashes also apply to the regular release page itself (i.e. Harmonic's CBL.590)?

I'm going to say... Yes.

Unless there's good reason to, I'd say we stick to a universal "only letters" format, to keep things consistent. Spaces are of course, fine. So:

"CBL ### Untitled" works fine
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 06:43:57 AM by C0NN1E »

WSBG Returns Yet Again!

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 06:47:28 AM »
I also got another question, if a LP has a lot of composers, should I list every one of them in order, or just say "Various", unless it has only a few of them, like 5 or 6 of them? I'm currently making a page for all of the Synchro-Fox LPs.

C0NN1E

• Library Music Archives
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 06:56:59 AM »
I also got another question, if a LP has a lot of composers, should I list every one of them in order, or just say "Various", unless it has only a few of them, like 5 or 6 of them? I'm currently making a page for all of the Synchro-Fox LPs.

For the artist section of an infobox, just list "Various", if it has more than one composer. Of course, for the actual tracklisting template, always list who composed what. You can also use the </br> function instead of using slashes and commas, like so:

Van Phillips</br>Cyril Watters</br>Georges Tepperino

Not quite sure it works on the tracklisting template, but it'll def work on the tables and infoboxes.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 06:58:39 AM by C0NN1E »

C0NN1E

• Library Music Archives
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 06:04:56 PM »
Hey WSBG,

Was Kentucky Gentleman really composed by Georges Tepperino? I know it says that in the digital release version, but I thought it was an error, since the record says Dennis Farnon.

WSBG Returns Yet Again!

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 06:52:48 PM »
Hey WSBG,

Was Kentucky Gentleman really composed by Georges Tepperino? I know it says that in the digital release version, but I thought it was an error, since the record says Dennis Farnon.
It is, according to the original source of the track, BMLP 019. They must've accidentally used Dennis Farnon's credit from the Funny Side Up series of tracks, which are on the same record as Kentucky Gentleman.
Here's the record: discogs.com/release/9600946-Various-Untitled
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 06:57:23 PM by WSBG Returns Yet Again! »

C0NN1E

• Library Music Archives
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »
Hey WSBG,

It is, according to the original source of the track, BMLP 019. They must've accidentally used Dennis Farnon's credit from the Funny Side Up series of tracks, which are on the same record as Kentucky Gentleman.
Here's the record: discogs.com/release/9600946-Various-Untitled

Oh, that's good! And here I thought APM was incorrect.