Author Topic: what about abandoning Zippy?  (Read 1356 times)

Greta

• Administrator
what about abandoning Zippy?
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:04:25 AM »
Hi all,
it's quite a long time I'm in search of a good alternative to Zippyshare, considering the restrictions they're imposing in many countries, and the consequent discomfort and confusion we're experiencing here lately.
Mega is still the best in my opinion (strong encription level and speed for example), but they have diminished the amount of free GB for storage to 15 I think, and for those who use to upload many files could be a problem, unless they create several accounts (which is perfectly possible actually).
Other hosters are not satisfactory enough in terms of free amount of GB storage in my opinion, and that's why I kept searching.
Lately, I stumbled upon this new one I'm trying right in these days (see here if you want to try a download: https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=4393.msg30348#new)
Ity's called LetsUpload (letsupload.cc).
I couldn’t find any valid information about them or how they would protect your files and privacy, there's such a lack of informations about the platform, but uploading and downloading is very easy to use and very straight forward.
As I've read somewhere, let's say it's very good for uploading and link/sharing "non-important" files, considering you can upload your files (20GB max. each!!) without a registration, and if you register for free you get none the less then 100GB free storage space.

Files online virtually forever, just till they violate the terms of use.
Max 20GB per file
Max 500 files or 50 GB per hour
Max 5000 files or 100 GB per day

I took the liberty of proposing this alternative. Try and evaluate yourself.

ps  obviously, I strongly suggest to name your zip files with some kind of acronyms or any other abbreviation, initials, numbers or anything other than the real name of the record
     (actually, in my first post using LetsUpload, I've used the original catalog nembers of the records, but I will correct the shot next time..)

*** feedbacks would be appreciated ***
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:30:11 AM by Greta »
G.

krizl

Re: what about abandoning Zippy?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:15:43 AM »
Thanks for the tip G, i just made an account :)

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 12:42:06 AM »
Apparently their servers location is Oslo - Norway
G.

Rocco

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 01:53:58 AM »
Thank you very much Greta, I'll try it. In fact I have to delete my files on Mega to make room for the new ones from time to time.
Thank you for 3349 too!
Letsupload works well, the interface is very clean, which is a nice thing.

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 03:10:30 AM »
No good in downloading phase. Too slow!!
G.

milliondollars

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 06:51:16 AM »
thanks a lot for the suggestion Great. i am not a heavy downloader but from time to time i peep the Library Rip section in this thread. almost every time, i find something that has my attention, i find myself in the situation that i can't download it because it is Zippy most of the time. and i bet i am not the only person with this kind of problem, so a change would be warmly welcome. it is always good to experience something new  8]

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 10:50:35 AM »
Some ways to get around the block can be found here:
https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=3266.0
https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=3156.0

If you want something but are unable to download it still, just post in the relevant thread - some kind soul will most likely re-host it on mega for you :)

bongo_rock

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 12:30:46 AM »
Hi Greta!

Thank you very much for the tip about LetsUpload. It seems very easy to use. Just as easy as Zippyshare (that is to say before they started banning certain countries...)

I will start using LetsUpload from now on.  :)

No more Zippyshare!

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 12:44:07 AM »
Hey Bongo, read a bit above.
Probably not a good idea. The host is perfect except for the download for other users.
It's extremely slow, keeps crashing and resuming, and many times the download simply fails.
It took me two days to download 4 Retro's rips.
I tried to find a good alternative, but this has his big defect for now.
I will se if I can find another one.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:47:30 AM by Greta »
G.

Pegbars

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 10:55:38 PM »
Lately, an advertiser on Zippyshare keeps trying to get me to download malware.  I've also had browser hijacking attempts there, from Indian tech scammers. 
Soaring Strings!

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 11:59:09 PM »
I think adding the adblock extension to your browser would stop that from happening.

Pegbars

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 04:41:15 PM »
Thanks for reminding me about that. 

I've been using the MS Edge browser and Adblock hasn't been available for it, but it looks like they now have a beta version for it.   
Soaring Strings!

bongo_rock

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 06:28:23 PM »
Hey Bongo, read a bit above.
Probably not a good idea. The host is perfect except for the download for other users.
It's extremely slow, keeps crashing and resuming, and many times the download simply fails.
It took me two days to download 4 Retro's rips.
I tried to find a good alternative, but this has his big defect for now.
I will se if I can find another one.

Hmm, I thought I'd read it all, but somehow I still managed to miss the part about the slow download speed! Thanks for waking me up there...

... and please pardon my slow-headedness! Seems like I'll stick to Zippy until I get to grips with Mega. :)

Cheers Greta. And a good evening to you.