Author Topic: library records used as full scores AKA wolves in sheep's clothing  (Read 2581 times)

milliondollars

i am not sure if this has been discussed before. might be an interesting topic...

there are library records, that were used for the entire scoring of a movie. and i am not talikng about movies or series, that used various cues, spread over a dozen of records, like Dawn Of The Dead for example. what inconspicuous library records, were entirely (or let's say to 80%) used for movies? i mean those records, that do not have any indication or do not point towards the movie being used for at all. maybe even those, that were recycled and released as library records later.

does a list like that exist already?

here are the ones that i know of:

[Patchwork] - PW 80 - Vladimir Cosma - Drama - used for/in Inspecteur la Bavure
[Roman Record Company] - RTV 106 - Viostel (Stelvio Cipriani) -  Situazioni E Sensazioni - used for/in The Lickerish Quartet
[Fontana] - 6830 123 -  Roberto Nicolosi ‎– Atmosfera - used for/in Eye in the Labyrinth (L'Occhio Nel Labirinto)
[Golden Ring] - A 30 024 RM - Orchestra Peter Thomas - Orion 2000 - used for/in Raumpatrouille
[Sam Fox] - SF 1019 - Sten Clift (Peter Thomas) - Untitled - used for/in Raumpatrouille -> thanks to Lord Thames
[Ricordi] - LR 10 - I Marc 4 - I Marc Per Voi - used for/in Il Debito Coniugale
[RCA] - SP 10075 - Aquarium Sounds - Aquarium Sounds - used for/in the TV series Così Per Gioco
[CAM] - CML 052 - Mario Molino - Mario Molino 3 - used for/in Gli Angeli Del 2000
[Sound Work Shop] - SWS 120 - Rovi (Piero Umiliani) - Motivi Allegri E Distensivi - used for/in Pane, Burro E Marmellata -> thanks to a8detective
[Sound Work Shop] - SWS 119 - Rovi (Piero Umiliani) - Due Temi Con Variazioni - used for/in Blue Nude -> thanks to a8detective
[Sonoton] - SON 176 - Jean Clero - Pastoral Suite - used for/in ??? thanks to a8detective
[Robert Hall Productions] - RH-216/RH-217 - William Loose - Untitled - used for/in Vixen! -> thanks to TServo2049
[Music De Wolfe] - DW/LP 3031 - Paul Lewis - History Book Of Music - used in/for The Benny Hill Show
[Music De Wolfe] - DW/LP 3068 - Cyrill Watters,John Snow - Flower Of Gloster  - used in/for Flower Of Gloster -> thanks to Lord Thames
[Music De Wolfe] - DW/LP 3102- The Modern Sound - Newsdesk - used in/for Spindoe -> thanks to Lord Thames
[Music De Wolfe] - DW/LP 3174 - Reg Tilsley - Theme And Variation - Tilsley Orchestral No 8 - used in/for The Body Stealers -> thanks to Lord Thames
[Standard Music Library] - ESL 104 - Li De La Russe,Nikki St. George,David Vorhaus  -  Electronic Music  - used in/for The Tomorrow People
[Standard Music Library] - ESL 108 - V.A. - Dramatic-Light / Heavy / Mysterious / Industrial - used in/for The Gold Robbers -> thanks to Lord Thames
[Standard Music Library] - ESL 137 - Alfi Kabiljo,Henryk Kuźniak  -  Mediaeval / Dramatic  - used in/for Seljačka Buna 1573 -> thanks to Lord Thames
[Themes International] - TIM 1024 - Alen Tew - Drama Suite Part I - used in/for The Hanged Man thanks to Mr
[Themes International] - TIM 1025 - Alen Tew - Drama Suite Part II - used in/for The Hanged Man -> thanks to Mr
[Impress] - IA 185 - Van Phillips - Space Music - used in/for Journey into Space -> thanks to apmnut
[Ariete] - ARLP 283 -  Orchestra Franco Tamponi - Musica Per Commenti Sonori - used in/for L'Amore Breve -> thanks to Mr
[Ariete] - ARLP 284 - Roberto Pregadio, Franco Micalizzi - Musica Per Commenti Sonori - used in/for Il Pistolero Dell'Ave Maria
[Fonit] - UST 3000 - Bruno Nicolai - Descrittivi - Temi Musicali Diversi Per Clima Di Guerra - used in/for Lettere Dal Fronte -> thanks to Mr

i put them on a discogs list for better visualisation.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:58:26 PM by milliondollars »

Lord Thames

Re: library records used as full scores AKA wolves in sheep's clothing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 05:19:56 PM »
De Wolfe DWLP 3174 - Theme And Variation, Tilsley Orchestral No. 8 contains all the music from the Tigon film The Body Stealers (I think this was written for the film first)

Standard Music ESL 108 - side A is music composed by Max Harris for the TV series 'The Gold Robbers'

Standard Music ESL 137 contains recycled music from the Yugoslavian movie Seljačka Buna 1573 by Alfi Kabiljo

TServo2049

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 06:18:29 PM »
The Robert Hall album RH-216/RH-217 contains a lot of Bill Loose score cues originally written and recorded for Russ Meyer’s “Vixen!” (I think another one recycled the score from “Cherry, Harry & Raquel” too. Or was it that same album?)

The CBS Records EZ Cue library was largely comprised of scores written for CBS shows like The Twilight Zone, Gunsmoke, Perry Mason, etc. (which, IIRC, also formed the basis of CBS’ in-house stock music library, before they ever got released on vinyl for use by anyone else)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:28:23 PM by TServo2049 »

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 07:06:17 PM »
Interesting topic!
Particularly for Italy, you'll often find this was the other way around; a composer was commissioned to write a score for a specific film, TV documentary, etc., and the cues ended up on library records for re-usage aftterwards.

Whereas all of the cues in the early RCA SP 10000s are repurposed film cues from RCA-published productions, several of the later ones are actually original TV scores. I've found a similar case with a lot of the 70's-released Fonit/Usignolo/Goldfinger LPs.
- Unfortunately, for as obscure as they often are, the library LPs are often much easier to come by than the original productions they were featured in, believe it or not.
I'm sure I've already mentioned this to you in private, but I maintain a small Youtube channel with cue IDs I've encountered which illustrate some of these:

Fonit/Usignolo:

A late RCA SP 10000:

I don't have my notes available as of this writing, but, off the top of my head; you can, among other things, find a considerable amount of Giovanni Fusco's unreleased score to "Domani non siamo piu' qui" (1967) spread across the early RCA SP 10000s.

Standard Music ESL 137 contains recycled music from the Yugoslavian movie Seljačka Buna 1573 by Alfi Kabiljo
Cool! Never knew that.

[Golden Ring] - A 30 024 RM - Orchestra Peter Thomas - Orion 2000 - used for/in Raumpatrouille
I'm sure some of you might know this already, but notably, this score features a very early (pre-commercial) usage of a vocoder, which the composer had access to at the Siemens-Studio für elektronische Musik, München. "Orion" is the name of a space ship featured in the TV show.

edit:
Re-watched it today, and Mario Molino's cues from "Antico e moderno" are the soundtrack to Fernando Armati's 1975 documentary "Il problema sismico in Italia", in the following order:
Iceland Theme
Iceland Bossa
Eleborazione automatica
Steppa siberiana
Gibellina (versione chitarra con marranzano)
Prateria

Considering only two of the four "Iceland" variations and a single of the three variations of "Gibellina" plays here, these likely originate elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 03:42:16 PM by Mr »

Lord Thames

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:26:00 PM »
Which reminds me, I believe Sam Fox SF1019 is also a recycling of the Raumpatrouille soundtrack, credited to Sten Clift, one of Peter Thomas' pseudonyms.

a8detective

• a8detective - YouTube
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 02:24:21 AM »
[Sound Work Shop] - SWS 120 - Rovi (Piero Umiliani) - Motivi Allegri E Distensivi - used for/in I DO NOT REMEMBER :(

The first six tracks from this LP are the same melody and they match the sound clip on Umiliani.com for the film "Pane, burro e marmellata."

Library that became soundtrack:

[SoundWorkShop] SWS 119 - Rovi - Due temi con variazioni, 1977 was used for the Luigi Scattini film Blue Nude. Umiliani wrote many original scores for Scattini, including Svezia, inferno e paradiso, but I think this music began as a Library record and Scattini used it as a score.

Soundtrack that became Library:

[Sonoton] SON 176 - Jean Clero - Pastoral Suite, 1982 is a recycled score by Lucjan Marian Kaszycki. Someone on a previous version of the board identified it, but I didn't make a note of which film it was from.

milliondollars

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 08:30:19 AM »
wow! fantastic information from all of you. thanks so much.

general thoughts: the release date of a record (if known) and movie is a easy indication which can tell if they have used the score from a already existing library record of if they have recycled an existing score to create a new library record. it will not work in all cases but in most i guess.

i was not aware of your youtube channel but i will start to follow it. i can immagine how hard it is to spot these cues.

PS: what is your discogs names @Lord Thames ? please PM me as i want to give you credit.

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 10:18:47 AM »
general thoughts: the release date of a record (if known) and movie is a easy indication which can tell if they have used the score from a already existing library record of if they have recycled an existing score to create a new library record. it will not work in all cases but in most i guess.
Indeed - though, if approximate, one should consider the possibility that the cues may have been available on tape prior to the vinyl release.

milliondollars

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 12:41:54 PM »
you are right @Mr! this is the case where this simple rule is not applicable...

milliondollars

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 12:44:25 PM »
have added [Standard Music Library] ESL 104 to the list as this has been used up almost completely for the vintage (not the current) Tomorrow People TV series between 1973-1979

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 03:29:21 PM »
Alan Tew's "Drama Suite" is well-known to have been the soundtrack to ITV's "The Hanged Man". It even saw a commercial vinyl release.

Here's another.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:58:44 PM by Mr »

apmnut

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 12:25:20 AM »
Impress IA 185 features cues Van Phillips originally wrote for a BBC sci-fi radio series entitled "Journey into Space." Whether they're re-recordings or not I don't know, though.

milliondollars

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 07:48:15 AM »
thanks a lot for these two important additions. went straight to the list!

roope

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 11:41:26 AM »
Some Daniel White albums might be quite heavily used by Jess Franco, but probably not as much as 80%.

milliondollars

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 12:59:35 PM »
thanks @roope! i know about about some Daniel White cues in Jess Franco movies!