Author Topic: TV Awards Show: "The Stars of Library Music"  (Read 1279 times)

kpmhill

TV Awards Show: "The Stars of Library Music"
« on: February 03, 2020, 04:11:36 PM »
I just took a look at Wikipedia for a couple of prominent library music artists- Alan Hawkshaw, Keith Mansfiekd, Brian Bennet. I guess I was a bit surprised that they seem to be still around- in their late 70s/early 80s. I'm sure there are many others, too.

I wonder if anyone has the kind of entertainment connections to explore the possibility of a steaming TV show featuring some of these amazing musicians. With all the cut-throat streaming competition, it seems like a good era for exploring niche content like this (not to mention economical production technology). Hell, just think about the kind of dreck you've seen scrolling through on Netflix or Amazon!

The guys we still have with us won't be around forever. Maybe there's an angle with bringing in some hip-hop artists who've sampled from these guys. It would be great to have a chance to show some appreciation for these guys who have given us all so much enjoyment! And almost no "regular people" have any idea about this music they've heard all their lives. Another conceptual peg, perhaps.

Anyway, I just had to throw this out there….

bongo_rock

Re: TV Awards Show: "The Stars of Library Music"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 04:28:37 PM »
Hi kimhill!

Finding library-produced music used as "soundtrack" from those names you mentioned shouldn't be much of a problem. I know for sure that both Hawkshaw and Mansfield did several tracks that appeared on TV shows and movies. Many other artists did too, but most probably for commercials and advertisements that was broadcasted sometime ago. Today's library music of course doesn't sound the same way as it did in the 70's and 90's.

There was a, let's say, not-so-good "documentary" produced sometime ago by HutTwent9 Films that featured Hawkshaw and a few others. Teaser below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgOMibjOJcw&t=0s

I think stackjackson's review in this thread of the whole film says it all;

https://librarymusicthemes.com/index.php?topic=67.15

It didn't properly introduce any of the artists and basically just swiped through a bunch of DJ's who rambled on about how fun they think it is to sample library music... It was a shame, really. Those who are really into library music would easily detect this, but somebody new to the scene would miss alot if they didn't know about the "behind the scenes"-viewpoint of it all.

kpmhill

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I guess it's not surprising that someone has already done something on this. Judging from the trailer, it was a fairly serious effort, too. It takes time & money to get specific people on camera, and especially when you film them together in groups. This documentary is at least on Amazon & Apple purchase/rental. Looks like these guys did their homework.

I was sorry to read here that this doc focuses so much on DJs & current producers, as opposed to the musicians themselves, and the unique periods in time. Speaking selfishly, I'm interested in the classic stuff, like KPM/Bruton/De Wolf/Themes/etc. - from mid-1960s to 1980-ish. It was funny that the trailer soundtrack included Keith Mansfield's "Mono Ski," which I happened to hear earlier this morning.

I'm guessing that many of the classic era musicians are in the UK. Maybe someone over there could track down Alan Hawkshaw & convince him to do a Facebook live interview for the folks at librarymusicthemes.com and elsewhere.

bongo_rock

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:44:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I guess it's not surprising that someone has already done something on this. Judging from the trailer, it was a fairly serious effort, too. It takes time & money to get specific people on camera, and especially when you film them together in groups. This documentary is at least on Amazon & Apple purchase/rental. Looks like these guys did their homework.

You're welcome!  :)

To be honest with you - I don't think that the fact that it is connected to Amazon has anything to with it being a quality produced film or not. Not that I would've been better at producing a library music documentary, but you can sell almost anything today as long as it has a shiny, glossy wrapping...

I'm guessing that many of the classic era musicians are in the UK. Maybe someone over there could track down Alan Hawkshaw & convince him to do a Facebook live interview for the folks at librarymusicthemes.com and elsewhere.

There is a pretty lengthy interview with Alan Hawkshaw in his home studio here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CbPYVUMlDQ

kpmhill

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 04:57:48 AM »
Thanks for the YouTube tip- finally had a chance to view it. There's more library stuff on YT than I expected, which was fun. It's too bad that the documentary we've been talking about is not so great, because this would probably make things harder for another filmmaker to get something started. It's sad, but I doubt that a good treatment of the golden age of library music will get off the ground while the original artists are in good shape to participate…

bongo_rock

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 08:17:12 PM »
It's too bad that the documentary we've been talking about is not so great, because this would probably make things harder for another filmmaker to get something started. It's sad, but I doubt that a good treatment of the golden age of library music will get off the ground while the original artists are in good shape to participate…

I don't think it's necessarily either good or bad.

Maybe the idea about making a documentary is too much of a "path of excess" anyway...
It might very well be the case that we should just be enjoying all the fantastic and wonderful art of music that these artists has created for us, and not about whether a fancy documentary was done or not.

We've still got all this wonderful music to enjoy - and that is what counts! Not glamorous TV shows or documentaries, you know.  :)

kpmhill

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 04:54:22 PM »
Quote from: bongo_rock
It might very well be the case that we should just be enjoying all the fantastic and wonderful art of music that these artists has created for us, and not about whether a fancy documentary was done or not.

We've still got all this wonderful music to enjoy - and that is what counts! Not glamorous TV shows or documentaries, you know.  :)

For me at least, it has nothing to do with "glamour," or with the fact that "a fancy documentary" was made — or not. Clearly, I'll continue enjoying the music no matter what. But what I would like:
  • The personal enjoyment of seeing stories and source material about a history that I find fascinating.
  • Capturing said history while its principals can still contribute, and before details and media are lost to the passage of time.
  • Increasing awareness of library music, so that more people can enjoy/appreciate it.
  • Potentially encouraging commercial offerings in library music. E.g. "stations" on streaming services, compilations, etc.
  • Conveying appreciation to the musicians themselves.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 05:00:35 PM by kimhill »

bongo_rock

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 08:50:25 PM »

For me at least, it has nothing to do with "glamour," or with the fact that "a fancy documentary" was made — or not. Clearly, I'll continue enjoying the music no matter what. But what I would like:
  • The personal enjoyment of seeing stories and source material about a history that I find fascinating.
  • Capturing said history while its principals can still contribute, and before details and media are lost to the passage of time.
  • Increasing awareness of library music, so that more people can enjoy/appreciate it.
  • Potentially encouraging commercial offerings in library music. E.g. "stations" on streaming services, compilations, etc.
  • Conveying appreciation to the musicians themselves.

I see your point, but the fact is that we're not entitled to these artists attention, or their time, just because they've produced music that we listen to. Although, I am sure there will be more to come concerning documentaries of the library scene.

I don't think that library music have to be made "mainstream", or encouraged for commercial offerings, for any reason at all.
It has already been made somewhat mainstream - which has made the price on records to go skyrocket because people want to make ridiculous amounts of money on selling their LP's expensive instead of just sharing it. Which in turn makes it even harder to purchase, rip and share.

To find gems in life - you have to search for it. Nothing can be expected to be served to people on a plate. There is actually already tons of library music on both YouTube, Spotify and other music apps, and here on LMT(!), so it is available to people to discover it if they want to. The mystique revolving around library music is what makes it fascinating compared to conventional music.

Furthermore, the fact that we're all listening to the music, sharing, and enjoying it spiritually, is enough appreciation in and of itself.

kpmhill

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 02:39:45 AM »
I see your point, but the fact is that we're not entitled to these artists attention, or their time, just because they've produced music that we listen to.
I see no relation to my posts.

I don't think that library music have to be made "mainstream", or encouraged for commercial offerings, for any reason at all.
Nothing "has to be" done. It's simply my belief that library music merits more attention than it receives. And as a library music lover, I'd enjoy more commercial offerings, and I'm not alone on this.

(Library music) has already been made somewhat mainstream…
Library music is not mainstream at all by conventional standards. I have yet to mention it to someone who's not a DJ, producer, or other aficionado— and receive something beside a blank look.

Nothing can be expected to be served to people on a plate.

The mystique revolving around library music is what makes it fascinating compared to conventional music.
For me, it's the qualities of the music itself that make it fascinating. No "mystique" required.

Furthermore, the fact that we're all listening to the music, sharing, and enjoying it spiritually, is enough appreciation in and of itself.
Perhaps for you — if so, congrats, and no need for concern about any of this.

bongo_rock

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »
I see your point, but the fact is that we're not entitled to these artists attention, or their time, just because they've produced music that we listen to.

Nothing "has to be" done. It's simply my belief that library music merits more attention than it receives. And as a library music lover, I'd enjoy more commercial offerings, and I'm not alone on this.

(Library music) has already been made somewhat mainstream…
Library music is not mainstream at all by conventional standards. I have yet to mention it to someone who's not a DJ, producer, or other aficionado— and receive something beside a blank look.

Nothing can be expected to be served to people on a plate.

The mystique revolving around library music is what makes it fascinating compared to conventional music.
For me, it's the qualities of the music itself that make it fascinating. No "mystique" required.

Perhaps for you — if so, congrats, and no need for concern about any of this.

This will be the last post I make in this thread.

I think you're missing several of my points.

#1. Instead of asking for things that are not there, what I was trying to convey to you is the fact that this board is filled with generous people that are sharing from their record collection on a daily basis. So try to be grateful for that fact, instead of rambling on about documentaries or live TV shows and/or encouraging commercial offerings... This pertains to glamour and excess, and is not necessary in a greater sense.

#2. I don't know why you obsess so much over the attention of library music. Again, you've got this whole community filled with people that are interested in the library music scene. So I don't see why you choose to focus on all those other worldly things.
If you're a library music lover - then why are you not grateful for the fact that all this music is available to you? Lots of music is being shared here on this board and instead you're going on and on about documentaries, streaming services and/or TV shows that are not available... Try to be grateful for the things that are out there, instead of the other way around. But all this is up to you, of course.

#3. No, not in the "conventional" sense, but it has gone more popular in the last few years thanks to the generous people uploading their albums on platforms such as YouTube. Then they pop up in other people's "suggestion feed", and then they discover it. Unfortunately, one bad effect that this has led to, is that the prices on LP's has gone up because some people see a way in buying them and selling them off expensive to make profit.

#4. Library music has, in my opinion, (not yet!) been subjugated to the path of excess in the same way as conventional pop music has. The same goes for it's creators. This is a good thing. Why? Because it gives people the incentive to focus on the art itself. As soon as you expose something to excess, it looses some of it's inherent value, just as a beautiful land of nature - it's peace and serenity is there as long as it is not subjected to too many visitors, litter and/or financial exploitation and materialization.

The fact that the artists and record labels are a bit "mysterious" and that there isn't so much information/exposure of them is what makes it charming and it also makes it possible to focus more in the art - the music itself. Many people on the board spend their time hunting new labels to be able to share new albums here.

Even if, of course, I can agree with you that music artists are very interesting personalities in a myriad of ways. However, I choose to put my focus on their art. This is what I was trying to tell you.

#5. I agree with you, and this is why the music itself should be the main focus. Not whether there is tons of interviews, merchandise or TV shows and documentaries - as it pertains to glamour and excess in a way. It also gives you an incentive to use your own imagination and think about it, while you're listening to a song, what the artists might have had in mind when they produced it etc. Come to your own conclusions.

#6. I am sure that you can find email addresses to many artists if you search online. Then you can write to them and thank them personally. I am sure most would highly appreciate an honorable gesture such as an appreciative email. :)

I wish you a continued nice day/evening, kimhill.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:30:46 PM by bongo_rock »

kpmhill

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 07:17:38 PM »
  • "This pertains to glamour and excess, and is not necessary in a greater sense."
  • "As soon as you expose something to excess, it looses some of it's inherent value, just as a beautiful land of nature…"
  • "…try to be grateful for that fact ["that this board is filled with generous people"], instead of rambling on about…"
  • "…why are you not grateful for the fact that all this music is available to you?"
  • "The fact that the artists and record labels are a bit "mysterious" and that there isn't so much information/exposure of them is what makes it charming…"

I believe all of these points, among others, could be improved by adding the phrase, "In my opinion."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 07:23:48 PM by kimhill »