Author Topic: Title translation "When I See You"...  (Read 796 times)

MrXmusic

Title translation "When I See You"...
« on: July 19, 2019, 06:15:08 PM »
h++ps://soundcloud.c0m/cabanini/wg6i2bzklvwc?in=cabanini/sets/10-1
[pluses in https and .c0m are only link changes]

The title is Когда Я Вижу Тебя or When I See You in Russian...it has a Broadway tune sound and is probably a well-known tune, though I've never known the name...

The composer credit is М. Хьюг, M. Hug/Hyug/Hugh/Hughes, which is similar to one of several representations of Jimmy McHugh's name in Russian.  It's from the Around the World/Вокруг Света series, disc 10, and the label says it represents England...

I would guess it's some American show tune, though, and I'm just not familiar with enough of them to know.
On Вокруг Света 8, George Gershwin's "That Certain Feeling" [Это Настоящее Чувство, played by a similar-sounding jazz band] also claimed it was representing England...and Horst Wendt calypso pieces were retitled and issued as representing Spain on Вокруг Света 8 & 9.
Since Gershwin and McHugh composed a lot of now-classic standards originally from Tin Pan Alley/Broadway/etc., I'd wager the same ensemble is performing both this "When I See You" and "That Certain Feeling", from the same disc [just as the Wendt covers were all on the same record].
The pressing or recording might've been from England [though the tunes weren't], leading to the records claiming they were English...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:18:17 PM by MrXmusic »

Lord Thames

Re: Title translation "When I See You"...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 06:53:47 PM »
The tune is 'Exactly Like You', music by Jimmy McHugh, lyrics by Dorothy Fields.

MrXmusic

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 06:58:46 PM »
The tune is 'Exactly Like You', music by Jimmy McHugh, lyrics by Dorothy Fields.
Awesome - thanks! That's all I need!  Now I can get the band/pressing more easily

MrXmusic

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 07:08:48 PM »
and on that note:
"That Certain Feeling" is a version by Ted Heath and his Band, originally on Decca UK.  I'll see if this is also Heath...
19:37 of the first video

This Soviet dubbing - it's not a Soviet band, turns out

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:14:30 PM by MrXmusic »