Author Topic: Neuilly CH-series (Janko Nilovic, Roger Roger, etc.) updated with CH115!  (Read 5673 times)

Your Pal Doug

Re: Neuilly CH-series (Janko Nilovic, Roger Roger, etc.) updated with CH121!
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2023, 12:51:18 AM »
Thanks kebarvid!

I've renamed my folder: Neuilly CH 116 Western Panorama (Alan Blackwell) [actually Neuilly CH 12086] (1971)
It's got to be it buddy,

Doug

kebarvid

Got another one last week:

CH 115 - Roger Roger - Le Zoo Electronique (1970)
pixeldrain.com/u/jXSTFKa6

A little bit to electronic and experimental for me, hope you like it more...

likedeeler

Funny stuff. Thanks, kebarvid.

However, ...

... all of the tracks in this rip are corrupted (flac.exe complains about unexpected end of file). It may be advisable to scrutinise your method of splitting files, as this most likely keeps causing you problems.

Greta

• Administrator
Thank you Kebarvid!!
G.

kebarvid

Funny stuff. Thanks, kebarvid.

However, ...

... all of the tracks in this rip are corrupted (flac.exe complains about unexpected end of file). It may be advisable to scrutinise your method of splitting files, as this most likely keeps causing you problems.

This weird error seems to pop up from time to time, found this about it in another forum "it is a decoder bug that is exposed when there is an id3 tag at the end of the file AND the last frame of the audio stream has a certain blocksize.  integrity of the audio is not affected but the sync error is annoying." The files seem to be working fine for me but if it's a big problem for you or anyone else, feel free to edit/split the files in whatever way you find satisfying, heres a wav pixeldrain.com/u/fkxBVyve

likedeeler

This weird error seems to pop up from time to time, found this about it in another forum "it is a decoder bug that is exposed when ..." The files seem to be working fine for me ...

I've read through the thread you're quoting from (for the insatiably curious: it's here).

The discussion in that thread has nothing to do with the error we're talking about. That's because

(1) your FLAC files do not contain ID3 tags.
(2) the error discussed there was a lost sync -- the problem with your files is an unexpected end of file (EOF): they are truncated. Or perhaps more precisely: the values stored in the headers of the files, stating the length of each file, are wrong.
(3) I suspect the claim that it was a decoder bug is (was) incorrect. The decoder merely indicated the problem present in the file.
(4) the thread is 18 years old. No piece of software used then will be still in the state it was at that time.

Is the truncation a problem?

Yes, it is. But not a fatal one since the actual audio is not affected.

Do these files really work for you?

No, they don't. You are going to notice that as soon as you try to decode them to PCM format ("WAV").

flac.exe can be instructed to decode through errors. That is actually the easiest way of correcting this particular defect, and it is what I've done. The decoder will state that the resulting PCM files are shorter than what the headers of the corrupted FLAC files indicated by a few thousand samples (a fraction of a second). Very likely, no audio will even be missing at all. The problem, I assume, is with the length of the files recorded in the headers. These values are simply wrong.

Re-encoding the PCM files to FLAC then results in flawless compressed files.

If I may ask: which software do you use to split files? Is it Audacity?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:45:50 PM by likedeeler »

kebarvid

Yes Audacity, same way I always do.

Ice8

Thanks kebarvid.

likedeeler

Yes Audacity, same way I always do.

One more question, if I may: do you export from Audacity in FLAC format directly, or do you use a different program to convert your recordings to FLAC? This info would be interesting for me because I've just started to play around with Audacity. I'd like to know whether I've got to look out for bugs. If you use a second program for FLAC conversion then Audacity is unlikely to be the culprit.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 10:26:37 PM by likedeeler »

kebarvid

I save to FLAC from audacity. Only other softare i use is mp3tag for tagging/renaming the files.

zoomo

Thanks for this LP.
Track 2 Tandy cuts slightly prematurely, it required at least a couple more seconds to capture the ending echo.

Sometimes to eradicate this common issue it can help by ripping as one complete file, or making sure that there's enough space at the end of eack tune so that nothing will be missing, especially with albums that have tracks very close together.

I'll keep that in mind if i ever do a re-rip in the future. Can't see it happening soon though...

What you all can get very soon (now) is my rip of what probably was supposed to be CH116, but ultimately was released asan LP with catno CH12086.
Alan Blackwell - Western Panorama (Janko Nilovic directing Western classics, mostly composed by Morricone)

pixeldrain.com/u/PbyX2zgC

Any chance of a reup of Western Panorama please?

kebarvid

Any chance of a reup of Western Panorama please?

Here you go: pixeldrain.com/u/2abMLdtw

a8detective

• a8detective - YouTube
     Thank you for 115! It sounds great. "L'Alligator" is bizarre! And thank you for the lovely images as well. Nice job!

likedeeler

I save to FLAC from audacity. Only other softare i use is mp3tag for tagging/renaming the files.

Thank you! I've started to export FLAC directly from Audacity as well. Previously I exported in WAV and converted with foobar2000. So far, Audacity has done well, but I am going to check exports from now on. Perhaps I can find out in what situation exactly these faults arise.