Author Topic: MusiCues  (Read 2056 times)

apmnut

MusiCues
« on: January 30, 2019, 09:31:19 PM »

American label founded by Bernard Rubinstein, under MusiCues Corporation, a division of Cue Recordings, Inc., who also served as prez of the company. Milton Kaye was gen. manager for the company. This company primarily distributed the Chappell library and a few others (like KPM and Impress), but they occasionally released albums of their own material (I wonder if they released more in the double LP series in particular that haven't been found yet specifically. There's a few Chappell cues, "Wiggin' Along" and "The Leatherman" that I wonder if they were released on those.)

MC-11686R: Musique Electronique du Cosmos (Electronic Music from Outer Space), all tracks written and performed by Jean-Jacques Perrey (licensed?) (1960s) (CAT. NUMBER UNCONFIRMED)

MCS-171/172: Rock Opus 171/172, cues written by Milton Kaye, Fred Venitsky, Bernard Rubinstein, Mel Kaiser and B. Kaiser. (date unknown, c. late 60s/early 70s) (Wishful thinking, but would love to hear this one in particular.)

(These early 80s albums are likely from a later rebranding of the library, since I've seen a picture of a Chappell library back with a Musicues sticker containing the same address as 1156 Ave. of the Americas in NY as these releases.)
GB 100: Industrial Fantasy/Aural Galaxy, all tracks written by J. Gary Burke. (1980)
GB 101: West Meets East, Volume 1, also written by Burke (1980)
MT 200: Syncopation, all tracks written by Michael Tschudin (1980)
MT 201: Razamatazz/Metropolis, also written by Tschudin (1980)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:00:43 PM by apmnut »

Mr

• Administrator
Re: MusiCues
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:58:50 PM »
Some additional info -
This was a New York-based label under Musicues Corporation (est. 1964), also known as Music Cues, Inc., a division of Cue Recordings, Inc. They seemingly served as a a music consultation/supervision/recording/editing/duplication business, but notably were the only distributor for Chappell's catalogue (incl. Sonaura) in the US - a fact sure to accompany nearly every mention of MusiCues. They also seem to have distributed other British labels, including KPM and Impress/JW Theme Music.

A few names:
The company was founded by Bernard Rubinstein (no, not that Bernard Rubenstein), who also co-founded Cue Recordings, Inc. with Mel Kaiser, the latter co. being more focused on sound effects.
Rubinstein served as president of MusiCues, with Kaiser serving as VP. Cues from both Rubinstein and Kaiser can be found in the Chappell C./LPC catalogue, incidentally.
Milton B. Kaye, the former manager of the RCA Thesaurus library, served as general manager of MusiCues Corp. from 1970 onwards.

- I'd take the cat.# and especially the date of the first LP with a pinch of salt unless specifically indicated on the labels. I really doubt its release predates the company's founding.
It's not unlikely this 1980 LP is their only one in this 100-run, as the company seems to have closed down in the early 80's.

Also, not to be confused with the homophonous Musi-Ques.

Some miscellania:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:53:26 PM by Mr »

apmnut

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:38:32 PM »
Sincere thanks for all that information, Mr!

apmnut

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 05:21:37 PM »
Edited to include the other early 80s MusiCues album and "Rock Opus 171/172".