Author Topic: Mutel Music Library  (Read 1909 times)

apmnut

Mutel Music Library
« on: January 21, 2019, 01:32:00 AM »
I'm seeking information on this American label, one which has recently intrigued me. Here's what I know about it:

-it was founded in 1951 by Dave Chudnow, and was active throughout the 50s and early 60s.
-a number of tracks were reused film score, but much of it was re-recorded in France and slightly "revised" (i.e. a few notes changed, making it a "new" cue)
-composers for this label included Joseph Mullendore, Leon Klatzkin (who Mahlon Merrick, Herb Taylor, Herschel Burke Gilbert, George Tizipine, Billy May, Marc Lanjean, Paul Sawtell, Bert Shefter, Jackie Pierre, Pierre Domot, Georges Varenne, and Joseph Solon, among others.
-some of these cues might have been licensed from a French library, but not sure
-Capitol Records acquired part of (maybe all of?) this library for their "Q" series of transcription 78s, used on radio shows like "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" and "Barrie Craig: Confidental Investigator"
-TV shows which used this label included Beany and Cecil, The Adventures of Superman, Mr. District Attorney, Racket Squad, Boston Blackie and The Great Gildersleeve, among others.
-the library seems to have adapted a prefix system similar to Hi-Q, only based on the mood of the cue rather than by composer (FI= fight, MYS= mysterioso are the only ones I know about)
-these cues likely were sold as a package with the David Gordon and Omar libraries by Capitol
-kind of like how some library tracks were released commercially as well, some Mutel pieces were published in the form of sheet music and arrangements for marching bands

Any additional info is appreciated. Composer credits from ClassicThemes.com and BMI.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:17:34 PM by apmnut »