Author Topic: Anyone recognize any of these 1960's pieces?  (Read 1862 times)

cesser000

Anyone recognize any of these 1960's pieces?
« on: January 17, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »
Hey everyone - I just put together the below playlist of unknown 1960's tracks that were used in various NFL Films shows.  Anyone recognize any of them?  NFL Films mainly used KPM, De Wolfe, Impress, and Sam Fox during this period, but I've been unable to find these ones within those libraries.  I know that they also occasionally utilized the Cinemusic and Audio music libraries during this time as well, but there very well could be another library I'm not aware of.  Thanks for taking a listen and for any possible help.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:30:25 AM by cesser000 »

Lord Thames

Re: Anyone recognize any of these 1960's pieces?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 04:09:55 PM »
1968 Cleveland Browns #1 is 'Incidental Backcloth No. 3' by Keith Mansfield, from KPM

cesser000

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 07:36:11 PM »
1968 Cleveland Browns #1 is 'Incidental Backcloth No. 3' by Keith Mansfield, from KPM

Thank you very much Lord Thames - you've helped me once again!  I posted some other NFL Films unknowns a couple months back, and you helped me out on a couple of them, letting me know they came from the Cinemusic label.  From that info, I uncovered about 7 or 8 pieces I never would've found otherwise :)

apmnut

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 11:19:06 PM »
"1968 Dallas Cowboys #1" is "A Slippery Grass" by Vincent Holland, from Audio. It's on BMP 109.

The first '68 Raiders track is "Liggin'" by Kenny Graham, aka "Slick in the City", from KPM. Great piece. Love the addition of the finger snaps. Kinda gives it a West Side Story feel, don't you think?

"1968 Philadelphia Eagles #1" is "Slapstix" by Shaindlin, but I don't know what CMR album it's on. Maybe it was only released as a tape reel only track by Cinemusic? However, it was commercially released on his album Music to Read Life's Year End Issue By,
and you can hear it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6TYyy9tyD8

"1966 Green Bay Packers #1" sounds like something from Cinemusic, likely on either CMR 219 or 319, since the B-sides of both are jazz/rock 'n' roll themed. The fifth '66 Packers track has to be a Conroy track by Don Banks, I don't know the name unfortunately.

That fourth '67 Colts track sounds like it might be Shaindlin, too. Same with the first '67 Browns track. Maybe that's on one of the two albums I mentioned as well.

Sadly, can't help you with any of the others.

cesser000

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:17:09 AM »
"1968 Dallas Cowboys #1" is "A Slippery Grass" by Vincent Holland, from Audio. It's on BMP 109.

The first '68 Raiders track is "Liggin'" by Kenny Graham, aka "Slick in the City", from KPM. Great piece. Love the addition of the finger snaps. Kinda gives it a West Side Story feel, don't you think?

"1968 Philadelphia Eagles #1" is "Slapstix" by Shaindlin, but I don't know what CMR album it's on. Maybe it was only released as a tape reel only track by Cinemusic? However, it was commercially released on his album Music to Read Life's Year End Issue By,

"1966 Green Bay Packers #1" sounds like something from Cinemusic, likely on either CMR 219 or 319, since the B-sides of both are jazz/rock 'n' roll themed. The fifth '66 Packers track has to be a Conroy track by Don Banks, I don't know the name unfortunately.

That fourth '67 Colts track sounds like it might be Shaindlin, too. Same with the first '67 Browns track. Maybe that's on one of the two albums I mentioned as well.

Sadly, can't help you with any of the others.

Wow, thank you!  With the Don Banks info, I was able to find 3 of his pieces that I was looking for, as well as the Kenny Graham and 'Slapstix' tracks.  I don't have BMP 109, nor CMR 219 or 319 (and it doesn't look like they've ever been posted here), but at least I know where to look now :)

apmnut

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:33:17 AM »
You're welcome! Always happy to help.

Not to worry, here's "A Slippery Grass", in all its glory: https://www22.zippyshare.com/v/hb4EYNPd/file.html

Unfortunately, yeah, currently there aren't any rips of 219 or 319, although someone here may have them stashed away in their archives. There's a person on the Film Score Monthly boards, too, who has quite a lot of CMR's and actually has this album. (I know since he e-mailed me a doc of his collection). I can give you his mail address in PM.

cesser000

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 01:42:16 AM »
Thank you for that apmnut!

Lord Thames

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 02:35:23 PM »

Thanks for naming this one - the DJ Kenny Everett (from whom I took my username!) used this as the basis for one of his BBC Radio 1 jingles in the 70s, I can't listen to it without thinking of Kenny's added lyrics!

apmnut

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »

Thanks for naming this one - the DJ Kenny Everett (from whom I took my username!) used this as the basis for one of his BBC Radio 1 jingles in the 70s, I can't listen to it without thinking of Kenny's added lyrics!

My pleasure!

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 06:10:49 PM »
Good work!

apmnut

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 06:23:06 PM »