Author Topic: Record stores dedicated to Library Music  (Read 3116 times)

Sputch

Record stores dedicated to Library Music
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:25:21 PM »
Hey there,

Are you guys familiar with any record stores that are (partly) dedicated to Library Music? These stores can be anywhere in the world. I'm curious to see how many (if any) there are.

The only one I've been able to find so far is one in Rhode Island that focuses a bit on Library records, Music Research Library https://www.facebook.com/yungvinyl/

The_Eleventh_Hour

Re: Record stores dedicated to Library Music
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:21:07 PM »
Most second hand record stores, even charity/thrift stores will hold stock at some point.  Of course it is all 'RNG' luck at best; just visit the shops you can, let them know your interest and get them to contact you when something comes in. Its all a case of whether the person that wants to get rid are willing to take 2nd record store cash (which will be next to nothing) or give them to a charity store, over getting the best they can for the record (usually well overpriced) on places like Discogs or eBay and the ilk!

Mr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 12:22:29 AM »
Wow, that looks like a fantastic little store! I'm a bit of a sucker for library LPs lined up on display like that :)

I haven't yet visited either, but the first two that spring to mind are Tokyo's Dessinee Shop and the Porquoi moi vintage store in Milan. I'm not sure how many records the latter stocks these days, but they used to have quite a bit. Their other items (clothes, etc.) are also very much in that whole 70's aesthetic.

stackjackson

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 03:12:44 AM »
Well, here in the U.S. there's Dusty Groove in Chicago (and online):

h--ps://www.dustygroove.com/category/sound_library

| Stack |

a8detective

• a8detective - YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 04:53:28 AM »
The only one I've been able to find so far is one in Rhode Island that focuses a bit on Library records, Music Research Library

Four of my Christmas shares came from them via Discogs. I received friendly communication, fair prices, and cheap shipping (being in the same country). Two of the Media Music LPs were even sealed. And, as a bonus, they threw in two Tanner sound effects albums as "padding."

Col Wolfe

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 11:47:07 AM »
I used to get the majority of my libraries from a place in East Anglia.  No longer exists, sadly.

libraries for miles
www spokerecords co uk

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »
That video just made my heartbeat increase...

Sputch

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

I actually went to Reckless right around the corner from Dusty Groove when I was in Chicago a while back, if only I had known about it then.

To give some recommendations myself:

Red Light Records in Amsterdam always has a good amount of library LPs. The stock (of the entire shop) is small and expensive, but very well curated. This is (one of) The Alchemists favourite record shops.

Platypus recordshop in Amsterdam is new so I haven't been yet, but judging by their Instagram they seem to have a selection of library records among other rare stuff as well.

Sadly there is no (partly) dedicated to library shop in Amsterdam, although Redlight comes close in being dedicated to well curated rare/unusual stuff.

I dream of one day walking into an Amoeba sized shop filled with library and japanese records, with an unlimited budget in my pockets lol. One day

Upgrade

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 05:06:11 PM »
Amoeba itself currently has a lot of Valentino and Major records in their Library Music section. You need to get down underneath the soundtracks.

Unless they’ve moved everything again.

Sputch

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 05:16:57 PM »
Amoeba itself currently has a lot of Valentino and Major records in their Library Music section. You need to get down underneath the soundtracks.

Unless they’ve moved everything again.

Haha, I wish I could just pop over to Amoeba. Sadly they are an ocean and a continent away from me. I seized the opportunity the one time I was in San Fran tho!

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 06:31:41 PM »
When I went there I found diddly squat.  I was hoping for a stash of Major-Valentino’s but must have been a dry month :-(

Upgrade

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
It was at the Hollywood store. I’m not sure about the SF stores.

le_tomval

• Tom Val Records
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 10:05:38 AM »

Pumi

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 02:41:13 PM »
@le_tomval c'est quel shop ?

Sputch

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 08:02:18 PM »