Author Topic: 1996 TV Special Library Music  (Read 2258 times)

enburtam

1996 TV Special Library Music
« on: December 10, 2018, 02:00:01 AM »
Anyone know what the cue starting from here is called?

https://youtu.be/B2dFrd-d9as?t=33

According to the producer of this 1996 Thanksgiving special who passed away more than 15 years ago, it came from the now defunct "Audio Action" library. As far as I know, the following labels belonged to the latter:

• Koka
  • Kosinus
  • AVF/Sound Stage
  • Moments Music Library
  • JW Media Music
  • No Boyfriend Music

We've combed through every single album available from the above 6 libraries, but no dice. Suspect there's a 7th library which was part of "Audio Action" before they were acquired by Killer Tracks in 1997. Anyone has any info?

I tried uploading it to Youtube and letting it get tagged, but the result is a track from Sonoton Virtual (2011) which contains additional sound effects on top of the original cue. Obviously they just added them on 15 years later.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:03:39 AM by enburtam »

enburtam

Re: 1996 TV Special Library Music
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:49:53 PM »
An update: Just realized the same track has been used recently in the following videos:

hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VHBWDqLsc
hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBvY4EHJKMI
hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0d7ZQQ2Na0

Even MS used it in their XBox One promo vid! But I'm pretty sure it's production music as the 1996 special which it came from didn't have the funds to do commercial or custom composed pieces. And the rest of the cues from said special were library music.

Craig-UK

• WCW Theme Database
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 02:06:39 AM »
The track is "Starlight" from Off The Shelf Music Library (OTSM017 - Elements)

joakim95

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 10:37:23 AM »
An update: Just realized the same track has been used recently in the following videos:

hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VHBWDqLsc
hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBvY4EHJKMI
hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0d7ZQQ2Na0

Even MS used it in their XBox One promo vid! But I'm pretty sure it's production music as the 1996 special which it came from didn't have the funds to do commercial or custom composed pieces. And the rest of the cues from said special were library music.
The soundtrack is "Big Scene C by Hermann Langschwert" from Sonoton :)

Craig-UK

• WCW Theme Database
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »
He has stated that it is not the track from Sonoton for a couple reasons; 1 it has additional sound effects; 2. It came out 15 years after it was used in TV. The original track is "Starlight" from Off The Shelf Music. The part he will recognise starts about 30 seconds in.

Moleoman

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 11:15:15 PM »
The track was also used (as menus theme) in a Polish video game by Aidem Media "Bolek i Lolek: Olimpiada letnia" from 2004:

It is, apparently, so far, one of the few (if not the only) instances of Aidem Media using stock music (although, from what I found out the company in years 2000-2005 used some sound effects from Sound Ideas library, including the Hanna-Barbera ones). What makes the matter strange is that the only name credited under the "Music and Sound Effects" heading in the credits (see 37:56 in the video) is neither the original composer (Hakamoto/H. Langschwert/another person?) or any music library distributor in Poland (at the time of the game's release were Paris Music, Vivart, Sony Music Poland (previously Sound-Pol), Agencja Muzyczna Globo and Koch Music Poland) but Robert Krzywicki, who has been composing for Aidem Media since early 2004.

enburtam

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 11:37:41 PM »
He has stated that it is not the track from Sonoton for a couple reasons; 1 it has additional sound effects; 2. It came out 15 years after it was used in TV. The original track is "Starlight" from Off The Shelf Music. The part he will recognise starts about 30 seconds in.

It's also not Starlight, which contains lots of extra effects on top of the original.

Moleoman

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »
Then, I wouldn't be surprised if the mysterious piece may come from a... sound effects library.

Suspect there's a 7th library which was part of "Audio Action" before they were acquired by Killer Tracks in 1997. Anyone has any info?

Or 8th if you don't include Cezame as part of Koka Media. The former split off from the latter somewhere in Autumn 2007: http://web.archive.org/web/20071204093246/http://www.sakuranotes.jp:80/musicsearch/

I'll also add that later the US distribution rights to the remaining five "Audio Action" libraries you listed (Kosinus, JW Media, Moments, No Boyfriend Music and AVF/Sound Stage) end up with Opus1 Music Library: http://web.archive.org/web/20011026005814/http://www.opus1pml.com/libraries.html

Moleoman

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 11:22:19 PM »
Sorry for double post, but I have discovered a list of library music labels distributed by Audio Action in 1991 (I'm not actually sure whether it would improve or rather worsen the situation):
Source: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Broadcast-Engineering/BE/90s/BE-1991-03.pdf (page 204 (PDF file)/212)

enburtam

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 02:09:02 AM »
Many thanks for your time researching, Mole. I've had a look and unfortunately, only about half of them are accessible online for sampling and the others are long gone. For those that are still available, there are lots of holes in the albums available for previewing online.