Author Topic: Sound Ideas question  (Read 1227 times)

apmnut

Sound Ideas question
« on: July 15, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »
Lately I've been curious about some of the music released on the Canadian Sound Ideas label: specifically, the cues released on these "Classic TV and Film" albums:
SM 201 (Classic Comedy Music 1)
SM 202 (Classic Comedy Music 2)
SM 203 (Classic Drama Music 1)
SM 204 (Classic Drama Music 2)
SM 205 (Classic Showbiz Segues 1)
SM 206 (Classic Showbiz Segues 2)

The description of one of these albums claims that these were recorded "more than 30 years ago", meaning these might be archive cues, and indeed some of these cues do sound like they are indeed, but sometimes I wonder if they some of them aren't (especially the comedy cues).

If these are archival, then I don't think "Albert Marlowe" (in reality a pesu. for SI founder Brian Niemens) actually composed a good number of these cues, and that somebody else did, and when SI acquired these cues (again, if these are archive cues), they changed the composer credit.

So, my question is: what's the origin of these compositions? Did Marlowe/Niemens really compose these, or did someone else?
I like a good chunk of these tracks, and any help is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:42:45 PM by apmnut »

Mr

• Administrator
Re: Sound Ideas question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:21:47 PM »
From what date were these claimed to have been recorded "more than 30 years ago"?

apmnut

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 12:55:13 AM »
From what date were these claimed to have been recorded "more than 30 years ago"?

Sorry, I was actually going from memory on the quote. The descriptions actually say "more than 3 decades ago". Even though the PDF tracklist on SI's website doesn't mention a copyright for these albums, a quick search finds that the "Comedy" albums were released in 1999 (well, actually "Classic Comedy Music 2", but it's a sure bet that the other one was released then too.), the "Drama" albums were released in 2000, and the "Showbiz Segues" in 2004.

Note that this claim is only found on the descriptions for the "Classic Comedy Music" albums, not on the "Drama" or "Showbiz Segues" ones.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:57:13 AM by apmnut »

apmnut

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 02:51:24 PM »
Thinking about that "more than three decades ago" claim and the 1999 release date for the "Comedy Music" CD's, I've come to the conclusion that if they're archive, they were probably originally recorded in the 1960s. That's more than likely the case for the "Drama" cues as well. The "Showbiz Segues", on the other hand, sound like they might have been recorded in the 70s.

By the way, one thing I noticed about some of the cues on the first "Comedy Music" CD show up in an obscure 1960s American comedy called "Mack and Myer for Hire", of which a handful of episodes can be found on Internet Archive, only I can't tell if the originator of the copies on Archive put them there, or if they were always there. The "music and editing" credit on the show goes to "Ross-Gaffney", but I'm not sure if it's a person or a library.

apmnut

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 12:53:18 AM »
Anyone?