Author Topic: KPM Music (Lossless)  (Read 117967 times)

xjasonx

Re: KPM Music (Lossless)
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2024, 07:48:53 PM »
would anyone wanna pass around a 2tb ssd drive via mail? this archive needs to be in as many complete hands as possible! im happy to send someone a drive!

nidostar

« Reply #331 on: April 04, 2024, 12:11:26 AM »
would anyone wanna pass around a 2tb ssd drive via mail? this archive needs to be in as many complete hands as possible! im happy to send someone a drive!
Sounds like an interesting idea but I'm a little unclear on the detail. What exactly would be on the drive? Wouldn't there be territorial restrictions on the drive's circulation from one country/continent to another? Wouldn't it be easier to upload music to a server much as we are currently doing albeit rather sporadically?

tonyc1971

« Reply #332 on: April 05, 2024, 08:56:29 AM »
I don’t think this is a good idea for multiple reasons which I’m not going to go through.  However, if members want multiple albums then they either purchase online or via something like Soulseek. I don’t mind posting uploading the odd album here and there but gets tedious when some members request pretty much the whole catalogue.  So, for me I’ve tended to use SS for this purpose. I can audition the albums and tracks and if it’s something I genuinely don’t like or have interest for I’ll delete. I’ve only really been a ‘completist’ for library’s including KPM, Bruton, JW, Themes and most of B&H.

I don’t like the idea of sharing a USB stick of music and posting all over the world.  I’m out on that one. As for KPM, there is a link somewhere for all the green and brown sleeve releases.

Greta

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: April 05, 2024, 12:25:48 PM »
I pretty much agree with Tony here.
Although the intentions of jason are appreciable and worthy of a warm thank you, that would blow away the pleasure of hunting whether one is a completist or not.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 12:29:29 PM by Greta »
G.

godzfire

« Reply #334 on: April 13, 2024, 12:09:09 AM »
While maybe the medium isn't the best choice, xjason's idea is sound. We're trying to create a central place to have access to items that otherwise would not be available anywhere else.

Quote from: Greta
I pretty much agree with Tony here. Although the intentions of jason are appreciable and worthy of a warm thank you, that would blow away the pleasure of hunting whether one is a completist or not.
Disagree, I personally get no pleasure in hunting for things that for certain accounts, most likely don't exist anymore, and the frustration of not being able to find it.

Quote from: tonyc1971
However, if members want multiple albums then they either purchase online or via something like Soulseek. I don’t mind posting uploading the odd album here and there but gets tedious when some members request pretty much the whole catalogue.
And what happens when those albums have been discontinued and/or the library no longer exists, has no digital option, and is also not on Soulseek? All people can do looking for those then can rely on the kindness of strangers who do potentially having them to share the only option on obtaining those tracks.

Retronic

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: April 13, 2024, 07:43:10 AM »
I imagine most things are available- certainly KPM and I have a full run of the vinyl.  I am always happy to upload things if, as Tony says it's not 10 + LPs.
I suspect for us who are older and especially if we collected in pre-internet days we have experience where we had to be patient and it took me decades to get all these.

It's making me reminisce....... (watery effect as I look up wistfully to the sky....)

I remember having to hunt records by word of mouth so my first haul of 800 records was someone in a record shop telling me 'my landlord has a stash of them in his office' and then me going back and nagging to get this guys number. 
Then it was mail order- I bought Drama Montage on Bruton for £40 (a fortune back in 1996) from Haggle Records.
Early internet days I was buying loads of records and recording onto mini-disc- the first digital recording I could do and sending Mini Discs all over the world and swapping with people in places like Australia.

So I guess for me I appreciate the hunt and didn't grow up being able to get anything fast- I remember paying £16 for a Funkadelic CD from America to get one track.  Can you imagine having to wait 3 weeks to hear something now?!

I set the forum up because of loving the music and although I think it's great as well it felt a bit sad when the megathreads started where you could get everything in one swoop.  It killed a lot of discussion on here because you didn't need to ask- it became a quick request for a re-upload, which in my opinion over the years have been increasing rude and abrupt.  I can understand though that if you have always lived in a world where music is just there and easy to get you don't have an appreciation of the effort it took (me, anyway) to get it and I don't cough up to people who ask 'Anyone got this?'.  I just think, 'Yes thanks' and click on.  There's a definite lack of manners on here that I struggle to tolerate and ignoring it over the last I don't know how many years is my way of doing that.
You may notice that when asks politely I will offer.  Members are lucky that lots of other people are more generous than I am and give it to them anyway.   For me, whether you are online or stood in front of me, don't be rude. 

watery effect..... and I'm back in the forum
So, I am always happy to oblige and you can just pick a few at at a time and before you know it you'll have them all.  I appreciate my stuff so much because of the effort it took.  I don't value things that are 'just there' as much.  Call me old fashioned. 

No, go on
You can
I don't mind
 :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 07:45:41 AM by Retronic »

nidostar

« Reply #336 on: April 13, 2024, 10:03:41 AM »
I suspect for us who are older and especially if we collected in pre-internet days we have experience where we had to be patient and it took me decades to get all these.
So I guess for me I appreciate the hunt and didn't grow up being able to get anything fast.
An interesting insight from the founding father! Whilst not wanting to be dismissive of the two recent posts proposing ways to consolidate our library collections I, too, feel that it is a generational thing. I agree that you can't beat the sense of achievement when you discover an item (be it a library record or a bubble gum card - ha, remember those?) which had proven so elusive to one's collection. Though I recall a sense of emptiness and lack of purpose when I had completed the collection. It's true. It's the hunt that makes collecting so worthwhile.

I set the forum up because of loving the music and although I think it's great as well it felt a bit sad when the megathreads started where you could get everything in one swoop.  It killed a lot of discussion on here because you didn't need to ask- it became a quick request for a re-upload, which in my opinion over the years have been increasing rude and abrupt.
Like Dr Frankenstein it must be a bit of a jolt to see one's creation take on a life of it's own. Continued frustration at the lack of courtesy shown to fellow members prompted me to put digit to keyboard recently as you will have seen. In some cases I put the abruptness of some posts down to the fact that English is not the first language of a lot of our members. Also words written innocently in a post can be misinterpreted by the reader according to their mood or the type of day they've had. But there have been other occasions when expletives have been included in posts which are totally unnecessary. Thankfully the two main culprits have since disappeared from the forum.

I am always happy to oblige and you can just pick a few at at a time and before you know it you'll have them all.  I appreciate my stuff so much because of the effort it took.  I don't value things that are 'just there' as much.  Call me old fashioned.
I agree that the effort put into collecting makes one appreciate the items in the collection more. A traditionalist approach I would say but I certainly wouldn't call you old-fashioned, Retro!

Fuzi

« Reply #337 on: April 13, 2024, 11:27:16 AM »
✊🏾
Life with ⓁⓂⓉ is so rich!

danthemusiclover

• DMG
    • Eternas Ondas Musicales
« Reply #338 on: April 13, 2024, 12:08:30 PM »
Retro, the problem I have when collecting and I admit it, is that it is very difficult for me to be patient.

It scares me that now the vinyls that I am starting to collect (NRE) are little by little becoming more expensive and difficult to get, imagine that in a few years they will no longer exist. That's what worries me the most and overwhelms me every time I think about expanding my collection. I could try it with more libraries, but they are expensive too.

In any case, I will try to see how I will do it and how I will be able to do it. I don't want to make too many impulsive, unfulfilling purchases.
LMT my safe place.

derose

« Reply #339 on: April 19, 2024, 02:40:35 PM »
hello is it possible to have  kpm1193 Alan Hawkshaw The Road Forward
thanks  :)

KPMPK1001

« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2024, 01:28:48 PM »
Does anyone have KPM 2266?

Thanks!